General comments

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I got this today in change. Sans eyeglasses, I thought ā€œsomething is missing from this reverse. Got home and figured it out. Iā€™m not a big fan of modern coinage, but this one intrigues me. I think Iā€™ll save them for a while. As a side note: remember when you had to be very well known to be on a U.S. coin? I consider myself extremely well read, and I had never heard of this woman. Iā€™m not saying she is undeserving. She just isnā€™t a front runner IMO. If I list my top 500 historical women, she would be absent; possibly due to my ignorance.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpeg
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 70
Theyā€™re just making it harder to tell what a coin even is anymore without looking twice. At first glance I would have thought that was a foreign coin of some sort.

Reverse Inscriptions​

• MEXICAN AMERICAN RIGHTS
  • TEACHER
  • JOVITA IDAR
  • NURSE
  • EVOLUCIƓN
  • ASTREA
  • EL HERALDO CRISTIANO
  • LA CRUZ BLANCA
  • JOURNALIST
  • LA CRƓNICA
  • EL PROGRESO
  • LA LIGA FEMENIL MEXICANISTA
  • QUARTER DOLLAR
  • E PLURIBUS UNUM
  • UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
  • Don in SoCal

First I've ever herd of her. Yeah there's a lot of promotion in awareness these days.

Looks like they're pandering to wokeism. I like to think of myself as fairly well-read but, with all due respect to the people being honoured, I struggled to recall their achievements:

By contrast, you need to be pretty high up in the pecking order to get your mugshot on a British coin. We had a long-standing tradition that ā€œcommonersā€ (those not of Royal blood) were never depicted on our coins, with the exceptions of Britannia and St George, although not as portraits. Even then, portrait coins were confined to reigning monarchs. That tradition was broken with the death of Winston Churchill in 1965, but he appeared on a commemorative crown that was not intended for general circulation (although it was technically a legal tender coin with a value of five shillings) and again in 2016 on a Ā£5 commemorative for the 50th anniversary of his death.

Since then the tradition has only been broken four times on coins destined for general circulation:

2006: Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the engineering genius, on a Ā£2 coin marking 200 years since his birth.
2009: Charles Darwin, the naturalist, on a Ā£2 coin marking 200 years since his birth.
2014: Lord Kitchener, Secretary of State for War, on a Ā£2 coin marking 100 years since the outbreak of the WWI.
2015: Edith Cavell, the WWI nursing heroine, on a Ā£2 coin marking 100 years since she was executed by the Germans.

There are also a few occasions for commoners where full portraits were not used:

2004: Sir Roger Bannister, the first person to break the ā€˜4 minute mileā€™, on a 50p coin for the 50th anniversary of that famous race (but only his legs are shown).
2016: Beatrix Potter, the childrenā€™s author, on a 50p coin marking the 150th anniversary of her birth (but sheā€™s only shown in silhouette).
2017: Jane Austen, the novelist, on a Ā£2 coin marking 200 years since her death (but sheā€™s also only shown in silhouette).

Other than that, there have only been occasions where commoners or non-reigning royalty appeared on commemorative coins not intended for general circulation:

1981: Prince Charles, on a 25p coin (crown) marking his wedding to Lady Diana Spencer; again in 1998 on a Ā£5 coin marking his 50th birthday; and again in 2008 on a Ā£5 marking his 60th birthday.
1981: Lady Diana Spencer (Princess of Wales) on a 25p coin (crown) marking her wedding to Prince Charles; and again in 1999 on a Ā£5 coin in remembrance of her death in 1997.
1980: Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on a 25p coin (crown) marking her 80th birthday; and again on a Ā£5 coin for her 100th birthday.
2005: Lord Nelson on a Ā£5 coin marking 200 years since his death.
2008: Queen Elizabeth I on a Ā£5 coin marking 450 years since her accession to the throne.
1997: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh on a commemorative Ā£5 coin marking 50 years since his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II; again in 2007 marking 60 years; and again in 2011 marking his 90th birthday.

Last edited:
Sir Roger, I remember him well. He was accomplished and a great contributor. Darwin, IMHO, went for a boat ride (The Beagle) and wrote a book. His claims are world-known and not one of his test theories has ever been substantiated. Donā€™t get me wrong, I absolutely believe in evolution! Butā€¦ his reasoning and conjecture is still unproven. Kind of like Al Gore and the internet. Except Chuck wasnā€™t trying to be deceitful. He believed his theory.

Reverse Inscriptions​

• MEXICAN AMERICAN RIGHTS
  • TEACHER
  • JOVITA IDAR
  • NURSE
  • EVOLUCIƓN
  • ASTREA
  • EL HERALDO CRISTIANO
  • LA CRUZ BLANCA
  • JOURNALIST
  • LA CRƓNICA
  • EL PROGRESO
  • LA LIGA FEMENIL MEXICANISTA
  • QUARTER DOLLAR
  • E PLURIBUS UNUM
  • UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
  • Don in SoCal
You're on the coin too? Well done! :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

I would rather see golden age comedy greats:
3 Stooges, Abbott & Costello,
Keystone Kops, Marks Bros.
Or, Western Cinema greats:
The Duke, Maureen Oā€™Hara, Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, Lee Marvin,
Henry Fonda, Glen Ford, Jimmy Stewart. Iā€™d collect those for sure.

I would rather see golden age comedy greats:
3 Stooges, Abbott & Costello,
Keystone Kops, Marks Bros.
Or, Western Cinema greats:
The Duke, Maureen Oā€™Hara, Roy Rodgers, Gene Autry, Lee Marvin,
Henry Fonda, Glen Ford, Jimmy Stewart. Iā€™d collect those for sure.

Those would be great. Add in Charlie Chaplin.

How about Jemima Puddle-Duck, Mrs Tiggy-Winkle, Squirrel Nutkin, Peter Rabbit (and Beatrix Potter?). Liz II on the obverses. All released for general circulation, but difficult to find in change. Mintages were limited and loads of them have been taken out of circulation by kids and collectors.

Beatrix Potter.jpg

Some people think they're fictional characters but they are, of course, real. Just ask my niece.

The US mint makes a fortune from coin collectors. It would behoove them to do similar. Collectors essentially buy a quarter for 25 cents.
The mintā€™s production cost may be 3-1/2 cents. Millions are removed for collecting. A nice money maker, no pun intended. šŸŖ™šŸŖ™šŸŖ™šŸŖ™šŸŖ™

The US mint makes a fortune from coin collectors.
Indeed. And coins don't have the debt attached to them that paper "money" does, either.

That coin is disgusting. Whoever approved the design should be fired. And, after reading this thread, I still donā€™t know the name of the woman pictured???

That coin is disgusting. Whoever approved the design should be fired. And, after reading this thread, I still donā€™t know the name of the woman pictured???
Her name is Jovita Idar. Right up there with George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (not!).
Iā€™m guessing someone chose her as a ā€œsensitivity choiceā€. Too bad we have a few people who wipe their Feet on US traditions.
As a side note, Iā€™m still planning to save a few. Notoriety can affect the collectibility. Should be worst coin of 21st century easily.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back