General question for all, please respond.........

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this question has ever been asked so I thought I'd get yas all thinking. You know how difficult finding places to detect these days can be, being mostly on private property, so.......

Rather than asking permission with a risk of a 50-50 shot of saying yes, here's the question.......

Has anyone in the past OR present OR would you pay private landowner or business-owner money to detect on their private land which would guarantee you a great area/place to detect for any length of time? (I'm not talking about paid treasure hunts, or organized hunts put on by some at battlefields, etc.) Just strictly individual sites. Please be honest. I'll give it a week and post the results next Thursday 4/12. Thanks.......Rich

PS: I'll be the first to respond............YES (I never have but I probably would)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
am doing it now

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
IF I had researched the site AND I was given exclusive right to detect then YES I would pay! You bet I would

A

absalon

OK...I'll throw my 2 memorials in.

I personally would not pay someone for the opportunity to hunt on their private property. There are too many places to hunt and I don't think the owner should profit from my hard work and my time spent researching a location.

Just my opinion.

Scott

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have paid for permits to detect at N.J. State parks, but I don't think I would pay to detect someones property if thats what you are asking.

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
I've actually thought of that. If some said "no" would I concider offerring to pay ?? I would have to be pretty sure that the area or property would be productive

So I guess my answer would be yes....

T

TreasureTales

Actually, someone did ask a similar question within the last few months. (Think it was treasurejack, but don't hold me to that.) Anyhow, someone asked whether it might be worthwhile to sign a lease for detecting rights, or something like that. He even asked whether it might be worth it to buy land just to detect, and then sell later and buy another piece of land from the profits of the first piece.

All I can say is: if you find a way to LEGALLY hunt for treasure, GO FOR IT. Shouldn't matter to anyone if somebody is paying for a place to hunt because it isn't affecting us directly...at least not yet. Such a practice might catch on and then we'd all be paying for hunting somebody's front yard, etc. Not a pretty future, IMO.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It would have to be that'Special' site.And the definition of 'special' would depend on several things.Now,I would consider paying a minimal amount,$2- $5 for just a normal looking city/town yard that has been around for 80-100yrs.And that paltry amount is because if I find something that was a keepsake to the family/owners,I always offer it to them.Hell,I guess what I'm saying is,Yep,I would pay,and the amount would depend on the site.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I share my finds as generously as I can; if each of my two kids already have the coins I find, I'm happy to share them. I give away lots of Indians, Wheats and Mercs this way, and have even given large cents, Barber dimes, Walking Liberty halves and Buffaloes. If and when I find my 3rd 1837 half dime, I'll give it to the property owner. That's payment enough; if they want to invest hundreds of dollars in a detector on the remote chance that they will get it back with finds from their land, they can. Most choose not to.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider throwing cash towards a property that has not been detected. Jeff is lucky to have been able to get his permit for some great old coal country detecting. I don't know of any old plane wrecks there but there is a ton of history to be found.

la9

Mar 25, 2007
I'd tell them I did some research and believe there may be gold on their property, I have the equipment, knowledge and expertise ready to go and will split the findings 50/50 and charge them fee for searching the property. Explain they can do it on their own, but the cost incurred for the equipment is pretty steep, and there is a chance nothing will be found.

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
la9 said:
I'd tell them I did some research and believe there may be gold on their property, I have the equipment, knowledge and expertise ready to go and will split the findings 50/50 and charge them fee for searching the property. Explain they can do it on their own, but the cost incurred for the equipment is pretty steep, and there is a chance nothing will be found.

WHAT! WHAT!!! THATS SNEAKY!!!! THATS DISHONEST!!!! .....umm .... THATS GREAT!!! i'm gonna go try it. LOL j/k

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I wouldn't pay to detect a private yard, but I do offer to return anything they tell me they lost. I did purchase 23 lots in a state park to hunt for civil war relics...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread