Generally Disappointing Weekend, but a Few Nice Finds

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of garage sales this weekend, but massive amounts of junk (I have enough mismatched tupperware, thanks). Did find a few things, so it wasn't a total washout. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but couldn't get the lighting right. I found two Italian sterling chains, a nice pair of Thailand Hill Country silver earings (any serious silver collector should learn the history of this marvelous alloy, very interesting). There is also a Patek Phillipe chronograph, moonphase watch...unfortunately an obvious replica, but keeps better time than my genuine Omega. The special find though, was a silver bell I found among tons and tons of cheap costume this one woman was selling. It is a "Lucky Little Silver Bell" worn by US pilots during WWII for good luck (made by monks on the Isle of Capri). This was obviously an early one as all the writing is in Italian; later in the war they switched to English and you can buy them today (the Italian ones were made before 1943). In addition I also found this original, autographed Broadway playbill from "Fiddler on the Roof" with Theodore Bickel. Definitely a good resale item. So nothing stupendous, but not a total waste of time.
DSCN0714_v1.JPG DSCN0717.JPG

DSCN0719.JPG

Last edited:
I like the San Michelle Capri bell, good find. My weekend was rained out. I did score a nice cuckoo clock though. Now I have 4 of them, LOL.

Yes, I picked up the bell not knowing anything about it. Bought it just because it had .835 on it, and I like coin silver. I think I paid 50 cents for it. It seems that most of my best finds happen like that. I pick up something on a hunch, get home, research it, and bam; holy moley, I can't believe I found something like this. Those Berloque pistols from a couple of weeks ago were the same story. Makes you think, what did I miss?

p.s. I have trouble passing up nice clocks also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back