Geo-Fact or scraper and tool?

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Seen in a creek in PA. Are the black ones Chert? They are extremely heavy and dense and possibly seem what would be considered a cryptocrystalline structure though donā€™t appear completely glass like.

The edge of that larger piece has what appears to be chipping or serrations on alternating sides along the edge like I see in other blades and points, but it also has smooth ā€œveiningā€ and growths projecting off which seems not to be disturbed in those same areas so Iā€™m not sure if could really be worked. It also has a curve to it so Iā€™m not sure what it might have been useful for. It was maybe almost 12ā€ long

The other piece feels like a much more coarser grained stone but it really fits perfectly in the hand and has this gentle curve and just appears to me like some sort of scraper?

I also included a pic of another stone that is exactly like the larger one, I thought it might help to see the details in a different piece while wet.

Sorry the pictures didnā€™t turn out as good as I thought on the larger piece, Iā€™d have to go back down to the creek to get more of needed and canā€™t do that for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_4330.jpeg
    IMG_4330.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4331.jpeg
    IMG_4331.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4332.jpeg
    IMG_4332.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    776 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4338.jpeg
    IMG_4338.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4339.jpeg
    IMG_4339.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, all natural so geofacts, also called just rocks.šŸ˜œšŸ¤£

OP
OP
G

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
I believe those are all natural. Shale and limestone would have been the last material they would have chosen. Keep looking and thanks for asking
Okay, thatā€™s sort of what I thought. What do you think that black one is? We do have a lot of shale around here but unless there are different types of shale this is something else. It is as hard as anything Ive ever found and has a ring to it. It chips apart into extremely sharp pieces as well. I know that shale does that but itā€™s brittle where this is tough enough to use as a knife easily. Thanks for all the help!

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Okay, thatā€™s sort of what I thought. What do you think that black one is? We do have a lot of shale around here but unless there are different types of shale this is something else. It is as hard as anything Ive ever found and has a ring to it. It chips apart into extremely sharp pieces as well. I know that shale does that but itā€™s brittle where this is tough enough to use as a knife easily. Thanks for all the help!
Iā€™d say itā€™s another piece of limestone just stained black. But still natural from what I see. Iā€™m sure some limestone is harder than others. They would use it if there was nothing else just like Rhyolite verses quartz. Rhyolite is easier to work but doesnā€™t last long where quartz is hard to work and will last a long time.

OP
OP
G

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Iā€™d say itā€™s another piece of limestone just stained black. But still natural from what I see. Iā€™m sure some limestone is harder than others. They would use it if there was nothing else just like Rhyolite verses quartz. Rhyolite is easier to work but doesnā€™t last long where quartz is hard to work and will last a long time.
I had absolutely no idea that limestone could get this hard! It sounds like a crystal glass when you ding it with another piece and it looks as smooth as glass on the outside when itā€™s wet.

I need to spend more time over on the rocks and gems board to learn more!

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I had absolutely no idea that limestone could get this hard! It sounds like a crystal glass when you ding it with another piece and it looks as smooth as glass on the outside when itā€™s wet.

I need to spend more time over on the rocks and gems board to learn more!
It takes a while to get to know whatā€™s a good rock and whatā€™s not

OP
OP
G

gettothepoints

Apr 29, 2022
PA
Lots of different kinds of limestone. One of the hardest is dolomite. Metamorphosed limestone is called marble.
Iā€™ve certainly got a lot to learn, Iā€™ll have to do some research and see if anyone local can tell me any more about this stuff. There are a few pieces of this around in these freestone creeks here but it stands out when you see it.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Iā€™ve certainly got a lot to learn, Iā€™ll have to do some research and see if anyone local can tell me any more about this stuff. There are a few pieces of this around in these freestone creeks here but it stands out when you see it.
Chert will also grow in the limestone in our river I have seen it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread