GEODE HUNTING IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jcshayden

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2009
I was just looking into the same thing a few days ago, theres not much near our area (technically I'm inland empire/ OC, but thats a helluva lot closer than those borderline arizona spots) but If you look for some gemhunting trail books written on a specified area (socal for us) they help alot. I found out about an old closed down opal vein near me via some ancient local newspapers. You just gotta look around.

Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that closed opal mine is in Kern County - just so you know - the people who own it still live there. (they will probably give you permission anyway.)

B

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At at least one opal mine in SD county is closed to the public, but still in operation: Gems of Pala (just off the '15'). But the shop is open (great video of the mine in operation by the owners) and piles of the original tailings are still available by the bucket.
Don...

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone been out there lately? Is it still possible to get geodes?

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visited Hauser, spent a day digging, found other people's diggins and that's about it. Unless you have someone pointing you to a sweet spot I wouldn't go out there and chance it. I hit 2 locations there and it has just been cleaned out. Better to stop by the Opal Hill mine and get some fire agates.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread