geode?

dirtfiahintheSW

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Founf this digging up roots around a cactus about 8 inches down. The small grey area will lightly hold a small magnet and that is the only area. A buddy saw ot and said it was a dino egg wich I doubt. I think it's a geode but don't know anything about rocks. Wanna get it cut in half just don't know anyone with the right kind of saw for the job.

Any and all thoughts on this egg shaped rock would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130328_215800.png
    ForumRunner_20130328_215800.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 147
OP
OP
D

dirtfiahintheSW

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I make the pics show up bigger? Can't tell anything about it when you click on the pic from the app.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Founf this digging up roots around a cactus about 8 inches down. The small grey area will lightly hold a small magnet and that is the only area. A buddy saw ot and said it was a dino egg wich I doubt. I think it's a geode but don't know anything about rocks. Wanna get it cut in half just don't know anyone with the right kind of saw for the job.

Any and all thoughts on this egg shaped rock would be appreciated.

Howdy dirtfiahintheSW,

That looks to be a rounded piece of granite to me. I'm almost certain that isn't a geode.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Brian T. Booth

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfiahintheSW

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surface is rough and weighs about 3 lbs. Also in hand looking at it in the light you can see small spots that sparkle all over it.

Here's another pic closer up. Up can kind of see the sparkly spots.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130328_222830.png
    ForumRunner_20130328_222830.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surface is rough and weighs about 3 lbs. Also in hand looking at it in the light you can see small spots that sparkle all over it.

Here's another pic closer up. Up can kind of see the sparkly spots.

Yep I'm almost certain that's a piece of granite. It's a very nice piece.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfiahintheSW

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if it is granite i'm just curious how it got shaped like an egg. No granite deposits in my area that I know of but plenty of indian activity in my area. Maybe something the indians used.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if it is granite i'm just curious how it got shaped like an egg. No granite deposits in my area that I know of but plenty of indian activity in my area. Maybe something the indians used.

Well it's very well rounded which most likely means river transport. I see many granite rocks that are "egg" shaped. Not familiar with the area you found it in. It might have been used by Native Americans but I'm certain the roundness of the rock is due to river transport.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dirtfiahintheSW

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in east texas bout an hour west pf Shreveport, louisiana. Closest river is about 8 miles away not far at all. But have never seen anything but fish, gators and snakes come out of it lol. Never know though. Could have been owned by the previous land owners too.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in east texas bout an hour west pf Shreveport, louisiana. Closest river is about 8 miles away not far at all. But have never seen anything but fish, gators and snakes come out of it lol. Never know though. Could have been owned by the previous land owners too.

Well it's a great piece of granite and you supplied great pictures. Keep digging and have fun. If you have any more questions just ask.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Brian T. Booth

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread