Geofact or Artifact

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a lot of debate in the indian fourms, so at there request ill post it here... People legitimately think this is a glob of pebbles... Please input your opinions.

effig1.1.JPG effigy1.2.JPG effigy1.3.PNG effigy1.4.PNG

I posted zoomed in pics aswell as it in someones hand. Its about half an inch long. Found with a metal detector.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You have put this item in at least 3 threads here. PLEASE take it to a qualified professional for evaluation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have put this item in at least 3 threads here. PLEASE take it to a qualified professional for evaluation.

I have... they said it looks like a pendant but there not sure if its indian, i have emailed another archaeologist i met at a historical society, still waiting for a response.. while i listen to the historian about the pendant some people want to assume its a natural rock... which led me here..

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Let's be accurate Andrew. Nobody called it a glob of pebbles now did they? I called it a cool conglomeration of a pebble for lack of a better term, not as a physical description. I know artifacts pretty well, not geofacts.
Now, if you want honest opinions, let's give honest descriptions.

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Now that I think about it, the material reminds me of an undesirable iron oxide material we find in natural river Rock we used to use when we did exposed aggregate concrete.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will note however, that you havent seen in real life, which is part of the reason i necessarily dont take what you say 100% because everyone who has seen it in real life has said without a doubt that it is a pendant of some kind. Aswell as everyone ive talked to and said people think its natural, there relatively shocked.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It not natural it's a Indian effigy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say if it is a geofact or an artifact. The pics are incredibly blurry. Can you get better pics? What I can say is it looks alot like some of the hematite fossils I have. Hematite would definitely set off your detector, and it should be mildly (or strongly) attracted to a magnet. You could try a streak test, (the lid on the tank of your toilet on the back rough side will work) does it streak red? black? A local university could do a specific gravity test that would go a long way in helping determine what the material is. A geologist could probably also determine if it is a fossil or not. He may be able to tell you if it was hand made or nature made, (Like seeing tool marks under a microscope) I will say that Iron Hematite can make some crazy shapes, both bulbous and angular. I have examples of hematite that are almost perfectly cubic, and some that were cubic, but then worn down by being stream tumbled, making them look very interesting! And, like I said, I have fossils that look very similar to what you have....but we need more info!

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andrew post the side way pic. It show how it supposed to be

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a ''natural'' piece of odd shaped hematite. Hematite has characteristics of having odd shapes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean show the one angle it looks most like what he, (and you) want it to be don't you?

Im not saying its jesuit treasure. Every single person i have showed this to outside of this forum has said without a doubt its a pendant of some kind.

Upvote 0

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has found others around his area. QUITO what do you know about the Jesuit work? Have you ever been to one of their sites before? Have you Studied them for years? Until you do, don't criticize ones who have.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did say it was Jesuit either. It could be. It an artifact period.

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
He has found others around his area. QUITO what do you know about the Jesuit work? Have you ever been to one of their sites before? Have you Studied them for years? Until you do, don't criticize ones who have.

what do I know? Well for starters, from what you have shown of their work, they leave no evidence their carvings were made by the hand of man. Also, they had an uncanny ability to make those faces in the stones appear to look like natural features in their stone medium.

Oh, and I am not criticizing, just calling things they way I see them, right or wrong.

You must admit though, after posting all the stuff you have in the past back at the artifact forum, you don't get much agreement from anybody about what you think your rocks are. I can see why you would want to hop on Andrews wagon here.

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I did say it was Jesuit either. It could be. It an artifact period.

I am sure that will make the finder very happy (and confused) to hear it may not be NA, but a RC piece. Maybe it's an Icon!

Hey, I know, maybe you can add in some of your examples so we can see what BACKWOODSBOB knows about, man made carvings, and geofacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that will make the finder very happy (and confused) to hear it may not be NA, but a RC piece. Maybe it's an Icon!

Hey, I know, maybe you can add in some of your examples so we can see what BACKWOODSBOB knows about, man made carvings, and geofacts.

Can we just stop arguing this? Im done, i posted it in the rock fourm, people said it wasnt natural. Ive done what i need to conclude its a effigy. Im not here to impress people. Everyone out side of this fourm has said its not natural. I am done debating this.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread