paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I've been bummed the fall season ended so abruptly. Between the snow and hunting season starting, most of my sites are now closed to me. I spent Friday and Saturday getting various things done at home, but by Sunday I just had to get outside, if even for a little bit. One of my old standby sites I've pounded for 2 years now is close to a road on private land. There are still hunters, but since I know the landowner I was able to give them the heads up on where I would be and it's not a spot they're around anyways so everyone was happy.

This is the site I did the bottle dig this Spring and found the surprise revolutionary war era navy button a few weeks back so I figured it might have a surprise or two left, but I certainly wasn't expecting this!

After digging some questionable iron signals I happened on a 72-74 signal that was relatively shallow. Thank goodness I cut a wide plug since I was pretty sure it was a shotgun shell, but even still the signal fell out of the bottom of the plug into the hole. Picking it up I first saw the back and recognized the shape of a dandy button and like always thought to myself wouldn't it be funny if it was a GW:

GW.jpg

A pristine heraldic eagle George Washington Inaugural button!

I was terrified the patina would flake like the anchor button did so I kept it in a bag of dirt until I got home. Initially I was contemplating the wax treatment but I knew it would darken the surface and the design wouldn't be particularly defined. At the same time I couldn't let the whole button dry out since once the flaking started it would be hard to stop. What I ended up doing was rinsing it gently and putting it face-down on a wet paper towel. I allowed a small section of the back to dry and fussed with it gently to see if the patina would come up. Much to my surprise it was very solid so I slowly let more and more dry while keeping a close eye on it. As I went, I would carefully work dirty sections with a lightly moistened q-tip, but it didn't need any toothpicking and I left much of the dirt in the grooves for contrast. The result:

GW-2.jpg

A completely stable and absolutely gorgeous button. I'm even able to get a full count of the indents, 63, which makes this a type 12-C.

DSC00308.JPG DSC00313.JPG

The back doesn't show an imprint of the eagle, but the indents do show through which is interesting.

There were a couple of other non-ferrous finds but I really have hammered this site hard so it's a small grouping compared to my usual hunts:

DSC00301.JPG DSC00325.JPG DSC00328.JPG

The shoe buckle fragment is odd since I've only found a few here and it's a relatively high tone. The pewter spoon piece actually has the maker's mark: a crown, Best Britannia Metal, and "VR."

Between the navy button and this style GWI (apparently favored by those who served under George Washington), I'm starting to think that this was the home of a revolutionary war veteran. I'll be doing some research to see if the deed for this site corresponds to any of the local rosters, but if they were in the navy it might be a tough to track down. Fortunately I have the Winter to look into it. :laughing7:

I really hope this isn't the close of the season for me, but if it is I guess I couldn't ask for a better closing find!

Upvote 61

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A GW button should go on the banner IMO, especially one that nice. My vote is in! Congrats.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have to be on anyone's bucket list. What a way to end a season. Just think if you had a home project to do on Sunday..... well you didn't and you have your GWB. Life is funny like that.

Oh there are always more home projects do to; I'll never run out of those! :laughing7: This was, I absolutely have to get outside and dig some holes before the ground actually freezes or I'll never forgive myself!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go buddy. A find that’s on my list....you got a beauty which makes it so much more special

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voting banner on your beautiful GW button. Hard to find in such nice condition. Congrats! GWI buttons are hard to beat for defining a historic moment in time.

Washington's_Inauguration.jpg

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voting banner on your beautiful GW button. Hard to find in such nice condition. Congrats! GWI buttons are hard to beat for defining a historic moment in time.

Thank you! I couldn't be happier about the condition. I look at some of the other dandies that I've dug and see what 200+ years in the ground did to them and then for this one to have held up so well, I count my blessings.

It is an incredible piece of history and even more so due to some local history. Alexander Hamilton was fond of staying in the town just a few miles away from where I found this button, so it's entirely possible that the owner of this button had seen him there. Maybe even while wearing this button! It's just a thought, but it makes it that much more special to me. :hello2:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So an update on the button; I've been in touch with the town historian and we managed to find the history of the cellar hole where this was found. It's attributed to a Peter Harder who's family lived there until at least the beginning of the Civil War, but what's amazing is that his name appears on the Revolutionary War rosters!

Untitled.jpg

He served in the local militia under Stephen Hogeboom who went on to become very prominent in local history so a good amount of his service record has been preserved. It mentions that his company, including Peter Harder, may have participated in the Battle of Saratoga as well as a few other smaller battles and skirmishes around the Mohawk Valley.

I love being able to tie significant buttons like this to the specific people who lost them and for them to be a Revolutionary War veteran makes this find all the more special to me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread