What's new

George Washington Inaugural Button?????????

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
3,846
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Forum:

Hey, guys, to get to the point of my post, I hit the "Old Colonial Road" site yesterday. While I was detecting, the farmers were plowing the fields and I was detecting. :D But, here comes the GREAT part. :wink:

I was detecting in an area where Colonials have been found and I came across a button. It wasn't an ordinary button, dudes! :wink: Since this field treats buttons and coins very bad, the button is BARELY identifiable...BUT, I, seriously, can see details...it is a George Washington button!!! It is 26.6 mm in diameter and even though a lot of George Washingtons buttons are about 33 mm in diameter, there were ones even smaller.

In the pic, it is verrrrrry hard to see though, but you can see the "dots" surrounding the edge of the artifact...typical of George Washington buttons! :thumbsup: Also, with the naked eye, I can see parts of the legs and wings, but like I said before, it is very hard to see. Seriously, it is a George Washington button, BABY! :thumbsup:

Check out pics of these buttons and notice the dots around the edges. Mine has them and I can also see parts of the eagle! :thumbsup: I found one, BABY! I am in the club!!!! :thumbsup:

Oh, I also found 3 musketballs and some flint! :thumbsup:

Keep sweeping with the passion! :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. The button read at 45-50 VDI...typical for brass targets! :thumbsup:

GW003.jpg

GW007.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button!!!

Congrats on the button.
 
someone else suggested it and I'll second it - even if it doesn't make a photo of it come out any better, you might see more detail on it when you get it wet. Take it outside in real sunlight, get it wet and hold it at a few different angles - if you're already seeing something on it, I'll bet it brings out more detail - if only for the short time that it's wet.

As far as anymore cleaning goes - I haven't had alot of luck with electrolysis and buttons - personally I think I'd probably just leave it alone.
 
With that much detail, I would have probably chucked it. Good job I don't detect over there :D

I know what they should look like as I have seen them here before. I guess being your first its a great find whatever condition, lets hope your next is 10 times better :thumbsup:
 
Wow man nice find! Try some Brasso (walmart), soaking in olive oil or electrolysis. These things have given me some results at times.
 
Hey, Kirk! I am an antique tool collector and at times, to be able to read a maker's name on the tool, I have to hold it at several different angles in direct sunlight and/or wet it (slightly wet works better) in order to bring it out. I wish I could be there and see it myself. I hope you are safely able to bring out more detail and it is in fact a GWIB. It is a VERY old and collectible button either way. WTG!!!!! All I found yesterday was an AU (almost uncirculated) pulltab and some nails (non-reusable variety).
 
Is it just wishful thinking, or do I see a letter here??
 

Attachments

  • GW007.webp
    GW007.webp
    105.9 KB · Views: 719
I see exactly what you are seeing Kirk. I can clearly see the outline of the pointed wing on the left center of your pic. I am not sure of the sizes of the buttons but I have included a link of an entire collection of Washington buttons. Once you get to the pic, click on it again for the supersized version of it. Your button is one of those in the fourth or fifth row. The pic of the varied buttons is almost 2 megs big. If anyone is on dial up, you will probably want to forget trying.

Here is the link.

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/scratchplate.jpg
 
DaChief said:
I see exactly what you are seeing Kirk. I can clearly see the outline of the pointed wing on the left center of your pic. I am not sure of the sizes of the buttons but I have included a link of an entire collection of Washington buttons. Once you get to the pic, click on it again for the supersized version of it. Your button is one of those in the fourth or fifth row. The pic of the varied buttons is almost 2 megs big. If anyone is on dial up, you will probably want to forget trying.

Here is the link.

http://mosc95.pld.com/kirk/CobbGW/scratchplate.jpg

YES! I am glad someone else notices what I see! It is a GW button!!! :thumbsup:

The link was cool...I am in the super rare button club!!! :thumbsup:

Kirk
 
bookfisher said:
Hey Kirk, great find! I guess you're not going to try and clean it?

Probably not, Book, but do you see the left wing, too?

Kirk
 
Congrats Mr Colonial Delivery Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :occasion14: :headbang:

Hard to see but I see possible left wing up to the impression boarder..if it was'nt for that nasty green alien crude on it...
I hate that green crude stuff ! I dug a 1812 Lg Cent last week covered in that crap :sad11:

Like everyones reply unless you look at it first hand with the naked eye its difficult to see and the camera NEVER see's it the same.
Here's the plus side on your find !
Usually GW's were wore by threading them 6 - 8 buttons on a ribbon and tied at the ends SO if the ribbon came undone many times all the buttons were lost at once.

Chances are where you found that GW there may be several more in the surrounding area.

Will they ( farmers ) be plowing where your hunting ?

Congrats on a fantastic find !!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_salut: :icon_thumright:

Derek :icon_king:
 
I used Photoshop to emboss the image in greyscale. The oxidation on the oposite side of where the suspected wing image is almost mirrors the suspected wing. Oxidation like that on the face of this button does tend to build in crevices formed by designs in butttons. The same oxidation forms what would also be the head of the eagle and the top of the starburst on a GW button. Guess we won't know unless you actually give an olive oil bath or peroxide treatment. You could also send it off to have it professionally restored. May be worth the effort and expense. Great find though anyway.

Good luck,

DACHIEF!
 

Attachments

  • GW007EMBOSSED.webp
    GW007EMBOSSED.webp
    68 KB · Views: 557
Generally when they are that iffy a call it is declared an isn't. In terms of coins this would be termed a slick or a semi-slick at best. But I have enjoyed the post and it has proven to be a popular subject. Thanks for posting your button.
 
Tough one for sure!! I have flipped back and forth between these photos again and again and I can definitely
see what appears to be the wing and also the curviture of the leg "making the supposed C at the bottom".
I will even go as far as seeing the possible arrows on the bottom right. I have a very large monitor and sweet graphics on my computer and these are just things that I believe I can see. If I was a betting man, I would say it is because I have not seen anything else that would fit soo many of these resemblances. It would be helpful to your argument if you were able to get good measurements to match up size and possible weight to an authentic one. I sure wish it was more obvious to weed out all the tougher skeptics!! Congrats to you for being an awesome relic hunter and I commend you for the effort and research you put into your hunts. 8)
 
Hit it with a wire brush and see if you can bring out some more detail bro. Maybe if you take a pic of it while it's wet you'll get some more detail to show. That is a great find if its a GW bud!! As the great KirkPa would say.....If it aint colonial....We dont want it!!!

Hey, Kirk. Fanstastic find, my friend. You are definitely in an area to find those types of items. It's not a fluke.
I'm with Rob....try a wire brush or a some hot peroxide to get a little more detail out of it. Maybe Don has a better method.

Keep diggin' with passion!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Captn_SE said:
Hit it with a wire brush and see if you can bring out some more detail bro. Maybe if you take a pic of it while it's wet you'll get some more detail to show. That is a great find if its a GW bud!! As the great KirkPa would say.....If it aint colonial....We dont want it!!!

Hey, Kirk. Fanstastic find, my friend. You are definitely in an area to find those types of items. It's not a fluke.
I'm with Rob....try a wire brush or a some hot peroxide to get a little more detail out of it. Maybe Don has a better method.

Keep diggin' with passion!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
I would be tempted to if it were me Dan but the wire brush was purely in jest. :tongue3: ;D However, I would most definitely hit that sucker with the hot peroxide treatment. You cant make it any worse Kirky and the peroxide sometimes works really well on those types of buttons. I will say ahead of time though that I am not responsible for the results if they turn out bad....but if they turn out good, I'll take full responsibility. :o ::)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom