BenVa68

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeap, that is what makes it rare it's a medium sized Button & most of these classical urns/vessels designs are on cuff-links. I pictured up a few of the various designs for you to looks at. (there are many more)

I found several cuff links online but only one other similar button, although it was all brass. That one sold at auction for $900. Not that id sell it anyway but it shows how rare they are. You just never know what youre gonna find. Thats why i love this hobby.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice 18th century button find! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several cuff links online but only one other similar button, although it was all brass. That one sold at auction for $900. Not that id sell it anyway but it shows how rare they are. You just never know what youre gonna find. Thats why i love this hobby.
Which in itself backs up that its not GW related. Otherwise there would be far more of them like the other GW Buttons. Plus loads of other reasons.:thumbsup:
But like we agree, it is a very rare pattern on a button.:hello2: (in top condition)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found yourself a beautiful late 18th century button, but I am also of the opinion that it is not related to George Washington's passing. The fact that so many cufflinks with the same type of pattern are found in the US AND UK, and not any of them have GW's name or initials, tell me that they are just displaying a popular motif, one that was in use before and after his death. Fortunately for the person that got $900 at auction, there are people that believe this myth.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find no matter the back story!!!

OP
OP
BenVa68

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found yourself a beautiful late 18th century button, but I am also of the opinion that it is not related to George Washington's passing. The fact that so many cufflinks with the same type of pattern are found in the US AND UK, and not any of them have GW's name or initials, tell me that they are just displaying a popular motif, one that was in use before and after his death. Fortunately for the person that got $900 at auction, there are people that believe this myth.

The only reason I related it to George Washington was because several people told me that's what it was. I had no idea what the button was when I dug it. Either way I'ts pretty cool and I have never seen another example. The monetary value really makes no difference to me because ill never sell anything I find.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I related it to George Washington was because several people told me that's what it was. I had no idea what the button was when I dug it. Either way I'ts pretty cool and I have never seen another example. The monetary value really makes no difference to me because ill never sell anything I find.
I would be happy to dig one of those myself. As far as selling your finds, never say never. I'm holding on to my finds for as long as I can, but the day will come when I have to find new homes for some of my better finds, like this cufflink.
GW3.jpg

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
super cooool button no matter what. you just can't argue with a high cool factor and its got it

OP
OP
BenVa68

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be happy to dig one of those myself. As far as selling your finds, never say never. I'm holding on to my finds for as long as I can, but the day will come when I have to find new homes for some of my better finds, like this cufflink.
View attachment 1770818

Wow thats amazing. I wont say never but hopefully it will never come to that. Ive even kept every shotgun brass that Ive ever dug. My wife and kids will probably sell it all when im gone though.

MSpeiser

Nov 5, 2019
NW Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome piece of history to find. Congratulations

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRY ASKING THIS GUYhttps://www.dontroiani.com/

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece of history, and You saved it. Big congrats.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, logic would say, if your cashing in on his death you make damn sure people linked it to him. With his initials or a motif that is directly linked to him. If your paying the money you want the message to be translatable to those that see it. No-one would commercially commission a manufacturing company to produce a generic design to act as a GW mourning piece. It would be a financial flop.
Anyways, your right people do belief this myth, that is way I keep correcting it every-time because we need to bust it & have it out there more than the growing myth itself. So that people don't waste $900.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread