German Weyersberg Kirschbaum & CO Solingen Bayonet

DeathByMayson

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given this bayonet a couple years ago and I didn’t think much of it. But recently I rubbed some rust off and discovered it has Weyersberg Kirschbaum & CO Solingen on it. I looked up the company and found out it was a German bayonet probably made around the early 1900s. I’ve found nothing else about this type specifically. Can someone tell me more about this bayonet?

2AAF22DF-E3F4-4122-994E-9AA84160B8E8.jpeg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Looks like a shortened model 1891 Mauser bayonet. If you can find other markings it may help determine a bit more of it's history. Many of the aluminum handled ones were sold to the Argentinine military, which would be confirmed if (as I think maybe I see) there is an oval with the letters RA on the handle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, as 'nhbenz' mentioned, this bayonet appears to be a shortened model of the M1891 model. This shortened model is called the “M1891/31 Engineer's Carbine” model. Its blade length is 9.75 inches versus 15.75 inches for theM1891. The “31” designation marked the year (1931) when the longer blade bayonet was modified to the shortened blade.
Don.......

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ.

The south american Solingen bayos (mostly sold as scary nazi knife to uniformed souvenir hunters) all have a spear point, be they long or short.

This looks to me as if it was shortened do-it-yourself. Either after the war to make the long thing into a useable hunging/carry knife or it may even be an orginal piece from the first WW (dont know if the Germans used the posh export quality alu grips). I know that a lot of shortening and sharpening went on in the trenches and backcountry to get useable fighting knifes.

Greets Namxat

P.S: nice piece, polished and sharpend you could well use it today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DeathByMayson

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a shortened model 1891 Mauser bayonet. If you can find other markings it may help determine a bit more of it's history. Many of the aluminum handled ones were sold to the Argentinine military, which would be confirmed if (as I think maybe I see) there is an oval with the letters RA on the handle.

Indeed it does have RA on the handle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DeathByMayson

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ.

The south american Solingen bayos (mostly sold as scary nazi knife to uniformed souvenir hunters) all have a spear point, be they long or short.

This looks to me as if it was shortened do-it-yourself. Either after the war to make the long thing into a useable hunging/carry knife or it may even be an orginal piece from the first WW (dont know if the Germans used the posh export quality alu grips). I know that a lot of shortening and sharpening went on in the trenches and backcountry to get useable fighting knifes.

Greets Namxat

P.S: nice piece, polished and sharpend you could well use it today.

Yeah, I put it in vinegar which got most of the rust off without damaging it and it is beautiful.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame it's been cut off. but I see a lot of those old bayonets that were cut down into hunting knives or for other common use when they went out of service. I really strips away pretty much all of the collector interest, unless it can be proven to be a field modification, like a broken bayonet cut into a fighting knife.

91 bayo.jpg uncut....

91 rifle.jpg and the rifle it was made for

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
namxat,
I agree that both models were originally spear tipped. I also think that with the discover of the "RA" inside an oval makes this a modified (shortened and retipped) M1891. (The "RA"mark representing 'Republica Argentino'.) One online mentions: "Most M1891 rifles and bayonets were exported to the USA in the 1950s and 1960s, when Argentine export laws required that the national crest be ground away before being sold."
Don.......

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
namxat,
I agree that both models were originally spear tipped. I also think that with the discover of the "RA" inside an oval makes this a modified (shortened and retipped) M1891. (The "RA"mark representing 'Republica Argentino'.) One online mentions: "Most M1891 rifles and bayonets were exported to the USA in the 1950s and 1960s, when Argentine export laws required that the national crest be ground away before being sold."
Don.......

Both of the short versions of this bayonet has a much different tip. The "Engineers Carbine" version is the one that keeps the hooked quillion, Many of the 1891 bayonets were modified in the 1960's for use with M1 Carbines that the US sold as surplus, those are significantly different from this one though. Here's a pic of the engineers carbine version and from the tip is pretty clear that DeathByMayson's blade isn't an arsenal modification :

91bayo short.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DeathByMayson

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of the short versions of this bayonet has a much different tip. The "Engineers Carbine" version is the one that keeps the hooked quillion, Many of the 1891 bayonets were modified in the 1960's for use with M1 Carbines that the US sold as surplus, those are significantly different from this one though. Here's a pic of the carbine version and from the tip is pretty clear that DeathByMayson's blade isn't an arsenal modification :

View attachment 1496763

So when and where do you think it was made?
And is there any way to determine if it was shortened by a soldier compared to a hunter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when and where do you think it was made?
And is there any way to determine if it was shortened by a soldier compared to a hunter?

It was made in Germany, the aluminum grip scales date it between 1893 -98, bayonets of this type made in 1892- early 1893 will have brass grip scales. In total there were 190,000 of the aluminum grip model and 40,000 of the brass grip model made, so it would be a desirable bayonet in good uncut condition. Sadly there is no way to know when it was cut down to its present length. For every genuine "bayonet cut down to fighting knife" there are a hundred forgeries and fakes. It would take having confirmed provenance like a photo of a soldier with the knife visible to convince a collector.

Even with no real collector value it's still a pretty cool piece, and to me it would be worth putting an edge on it and having a scabbard made to use as a camping knife.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread