What's new

Getting good with a cheap detector

DIGDIG

Full Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2009
Messages
190
Reaction score
41
Golden Thread
0
Location
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the economy in the toilet sometimes ya have to make do with what ya got. At this time all I could get for the little money I had was a mint GTA350 by garrett. I spent $40-50. for the bigger coil and I gotta say "it's finding silver!!". Yesterday I detected for a hour at the in-laws, not an old home but what the hell. Found approx 9 coins(one Mercury dime) and dug just 2 trash items, came home with a little bit of time before dark and in a 6' area of my front yard dug another 10 coins(clad) and no trash. Today with about 30 minutes to spare I find a Rosie(silver) a penny and a key. On my own property this inexspensive detector has found me about 6 silver coins a bunch of clad and other cool stuff such as bullets, tokens and a medal, I can't wait to try it on some old property!
So sometimes being broke don't have to stop you from the hobby, get the best detector you can for what you have to spend and go hunting!!
 
Heck,I'm so broke I can't pay attention!!!
 
worldtalker said:
Heck,I'm so broke I can't pay attention!!!

What? :laughing9:
 
Terry Soloman said:
worldtalker said:
Heck,I'm so broke I can't pay attention!!!

What? :laughing9:
Well,MINUS my goodies,Got a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ tied up in my equipment,gotta pay for that first Terry.Looks like this spot is it!!!!!
 
*sigh* I wish people would quit believing the myth that the expensive detectors are better than cheaper detectors. It's not true at all. Some companies have better depth than others because it's how they make them, some have better discrimination, some have better VDI readings, but the price you're paying is for bells and whistles, has nothing to do with being better. With trying 10 different detectors, some companies had really horrible depth and discrimination, where others were the leaders of the pack.

My vote? stick with the detectors under $300.
 
Experience has taught me that it is not the price you pay for your detector that will determine your success but how well you understand the detector you got.
 
Kinda like the saying "don't fear the man with many guns, fear the man with one gun that knows how to use it"
 
DIGDIG said:
Kinda like the saying "don't fear the man with many guns, fear the man with one gun that knows how to use it"
Difference between Knowing and Understanding! I understand what my machine is tellin me!Sing to me Sweet Darlin!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom