What's new

Getting my son started in Treasure Hunting

JKR

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 30, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 8 yr old son has been obsessed with Treasure Hunting since he 1st saw Indiana Jones a couple years ago. He reads books about lost treasure and is fascinated by the Knights Templar . I want to take him on a real hunt for lost treasure somewhere in the United States. Even if we find nothing I just want him to experience a real hunt. I have no idea where to start though. I bought a couple books on lost treasure in the U.S but my biggest concern in the safety of the hunt and location. Can anyone throw out any ideas for us to get started? Thank you
 
A metal detector and a park can be a treasure hunt. It's all about the search.
 
Wilcome.webp:hello: Forget the big treasure hunts as he'll just want to find stuff. As Pong said, a local park or tot lot will get the ball rolling.
 
So many things come to mind when you ask this.
First, put yourself in an 8yr olds mind. When I was 8, I found treasure in our backyard and surrounding woods.
If you are planning a trip, alot is to be considered.
Second and foremost, I agree w the others. Get him a metal detector and head to a park, field, your yard, etc., initially. You then, just might want a detector for yourself.
GL
Peace ✌
 
My Grand son is 8 and I got him the little Bounty hunter kids MD- its a good start and will hit on stuff 4-6' down--
We have a large family reunion at our pool/cabin so I buried about 50 items --Quarters, dimes, sac-dollars, etc also M-box cars and other stuff I had previously detected. Got out the detectors and let the kids have a ball---now the G-son is here at the pool all summer and often takes his MD and goes and finds stuff around the yard. good fun and he is learning the game///
Keep in mind that an 8 year old is often not strong enough to dig in hard ground with your tools--he needs a short narrow shovel // Perry
 
It sounds like both you and him will have a lot of fun. Keep in mind, you will most likely not find some huge treasure but maybe interesting items and an occasional great find. I recommend starting in parks and such, then when he gets older and after one of two years of metal detecting you should try some older places.

Just my thoughts,
Coinman123,
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom