DaveandBlitz

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
E Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3, Tesoro Lobo supertrack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like some input on approaching property owners to get permission to detect on their property. I am a bit shy so I usually hunt only public ground. There is an old abandoned house near me that screams old coins every time I drive by. I really would like to detect the yard there, but just not sure of the right approach to gain permission. This is a very small cliquish kind of community but I do know a few folks here. I realize the first step is finding out who owns the property, that shouldn't be hard. Asking for permission the right way to gain trust and not appear like some fool wanting to dig a bunch of holes in the yard is something I have never tried. I am sure alot of you have done this kind of thing many times, so what works best?

Upvote 0

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A simple code of public introductions is best.
Be sure you're clean, clean hands, face, nails, hair combed. Look good, feel good...
Dress nice. Nobody wants to see you in full camoflage, it could scare them.
Knock on the door and step back several feet to allow the home owner some room. This minimized the threatening appearance.
If you are wearing a hat, remove it.
Introduce yourself and then mention your hobby.
Get right to the business, their time is important.
Let them know that you will take great care in recovering all targets and that if you find trash, you'll remove it and you will fill all holes.

Other than that, it's really up to you. It isn't hard, just remember... Currently you don't have permission to hunt the property, so you ALREADY have a "NO" answer, if you go ask and they say "NO", then no harm done, you're no better off. If they say "YES" then CONGRATULATIONS!

OP
OP
D

DaveandBlitz

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
E Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3, Tesoro Lobo supertrack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you! I know I am on the right track... exactly what I thought should be how it goes... does it get easier the more often you do it tho? Like I said I am very shy. That is probably my biggest hangup with this hobby!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, it gets easier. Also, take baby steps... start by asking coworkers, neighbors. Then go ask the property owners you really want to ask.

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be shy. I believe that if you are sincere and careful to be courteous to the landowner you will get permission most of the time. Treat the property better than you would your own. Word gets out about people who do good and bad. Also do not let a no answer shake you up or discourage you. It is the right of the owner to say yes or no. Hearing no is the worst thing that can happen so go for it. Move to the next site. Sometimes sharing some finds that you have duplicates of with a landowner will open up more opportunities down the road.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly what the replies have said already. Smile and even if you get a no, shake their hand and thank them for their time. Sometimes they change their minds before you get back to your vehicle if your nice. I just put up a post and truely believe that a personalized business card will help alot. This gives them some info on you and makes them feel alittle more at ease, it also will help if they change their mind they will have a way to call you at a later time. i just stopped and asked about a property like the one you see everyday, this one also is speaking in silver tonque to me when I drive by. But the fellow said that he detects also,I thought if he hasnt done it by now, but thats his business, I did gain a friend and permission to archery hunt so that was cool. Between you and I, I believe I will get permission to detect it yet: )-

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd approach the property owner with a smile and a tell him you have a genuine interest in the history of your area and that you would like him to tell you the history of that particular property. If you're only interested in the coins you might find, tell him you'll donate all your relic finds to the local historical society or museum. Also offer to search for anything the owner has specifically lost on the property. If the place has a busy history or looks really good, I'd volunteer to cut the grass or do some yard work to make the place look better. It will also help you in your searching. Good Luck!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark said:
I'd approach the property owner with a smile and a tell him you have a genuine interest in the history of your area and that you would like him to tell you the history of that particular property. If you're only interested in the coins you might find, tell him you'll donate all your relic finds to the local historical society or museum. Also offer to search for anything the owner has specifically lost on the property. If the place has a busy history or looks really good, I'd volunteer to cut the grass or do some yard work to make the place look better. It will also help you in your searching. Good Luck!

Now ur getting crazy askin to do yard work and donating things come on now

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply put, just ask. Remember, if you only get a yes from, say, 5% of the residences, that's 5 places to look. Much better than not asking. Don't take it personal if they say no. Like a salesman, you have to ask. The worse that can happen is you will gain more confidence in your approach. TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now ur getting crazy askin to do yard work and donating things come on now
I guess it depends on how bad you want to detect the place. If it was built in the 1950's......yeah, I would ask politely, and if the answer is no, I'd thank them and move on to the next one. If it was built in the 1700's and owned by rich folks that had lots of visitors and parties. I'd be more than willing to do some yard work to hunt a place like that. Relics don't float my boat so I'm always willing to donate them if it gains me permission to hunt a property for old coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread