Getting started in Texas

G

gwmarsh

My wife and I are extremely new to this and I would appreciate any help, pointers or info. Not to sound too novice, but what is the best way to get started in cache searching, gold panning/mines, old indian and battle sites? We live in N. Texas north of Dallas. We are not doing this to find the one cache that makes us rich, it's the history of the area and the thrill of the "hunt" that intrigues us. Any info to help us on our way would be much appreciated... things like what books to read, map/s sources, etc. Thanks!! ;D

The best way to get started in your area would be like any other area. Just do it. Pick a spot and start hunting. One thing will lead to another and then to another. I found a local author in my neighborhood who had already researched the town and he included nearly one hundred maps in his book. These maps have proved to be beneficial. I started out looking for Civil War artifacts and, with the luck of being a novice, I found an "I" button, which at the time was valued at about thirty dollars. I have progressed since. My advice may not be too helpful, but I've found that if I employ the tools that I have at hand, better ones come along as I need them. If you have a place nearby that you could pan for gold, I'd do that. It's fun.

How far north of Dallas do you live and in which direction-there is a club in Bonham which could be very helpful to your efforts-

Thanks so far with the info. I live in the Frisco area north of Dallas. I am going to try going to a local library and begin searching for Civil War forts, old maps, old towns, etc. in this area. Like I said we are JUST starting this, so we are doing a bunch of research right now trying to compile information that is conducive to our interests.

You are located close enough to the Red River and the Oklahoma to find some good stuff, try the old ferry crossings on the river and the WW2 german prison camp that was located up there.
Sivells Bend on the Red River was good to me years ago and no one can find it all.
Reserch is the key! Talk to the old timers in the area. I have ended up with 100's of acres open to me by simply taking the time to be frendly to the old timers. Goodluck

During the 1970's, most counties in Texas published a history of their county.? Visit your local library and see if they have one on the county where you live, and the counties that border your county.? You can also search on eBay under the search title "Texas History."? Another free source of information would be Google search, and this is done on your home computer.

In regards to panning for gold in Texas, there appears to be very little known gold areas...there are three counties in Central Texas that has traces of gold in some of the streams in the area.? I believe that Barnett County would possibly be one of them.? I suspect that there would possibly be some gold down in the Big Bend area of Texas, around Reagans Canyon area, but this may now be federal owned land.

Wish you luck!? Kelley (Texas)? ?South Texas

Hello GW and welcome to the site.
I did do some treasure hunting as a kid and have just started back in it and have yet to do my first hunt-Rainy here in Plano. Snow tomorrow-?
I have great news for you and the Mrs., as there is a meeting this Friday night down in Irving of the Lone Star TH Club.
http://www.lonestartreasure.com/index.shtml They meet once a month on Fridays and on Saturday have group hunts.
I am going to be checking out some of the older parts of town and do a bit of research on the area and locate old stage routs-towns-etc. I hope you guys get a chance to go, please say hello to me if you make it as it will be my first meeting as well. Not too sure about battle fields round here but have to believe there are some great spots to be found and hunted.
Brett ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back