Getting Started

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Since I am in Texas I can't do much more than welcome you to the hobby and to Treasure Net.

I can give this advice though, get to know your machine, dig everything you locate, have fun, and refill your holes.

I'll bet some of the folks in your part of the country will chime in soon and give some real pointers to you!

Make sure to let us know what you find, and remember, when you are first starting out, every find is a treasure of some sort.

Grip

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Welcome from another Texan...one thing that the good Dr. forgot, always get permission...I do more arrowhead hunting than anything else, but I always ask for permission before I go on any piece of land...Post pics when you can...

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
It's important to know your machine.
I would practice at some schools or parks to get more familiar, and to maybe even find a few bucks.

From there, research out good areas by trying to find the area's history.

Since you said you got a cheap Radio Shack detector, I might suggest picking up a slightly better one.
You can find something like a White's Prism for around $150-200 on E bay, or even post something on this site stating that you are looking for a detector.

You will probably like it better, find more things, and become less frustrated and enjoy the hobby even better.

Remember, that you will be finding $$$ so if you get out and hunt in some good areas, before you know it you'll find more than the $150-200 that you initially spent on it!

My first detector was a Whites that I paid $170 for, and in one school alone I found over $400 in coins in a summer.

Good Luck!

M

michigan michael

Welcome Zags! :icon_thumright: Start buy spending a lot of time at a library. Learn your areas history. Find old maps of your city and dont forget to check the micro film while you are at the library. Your detector will not help much with the Indian artifacts but, always keep your eyes open for them when ever you did. Good luck and Happy Hunting! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
zags08

zags08

May 31, 2009
Thanks so much for all the advice.. What type of information should i look up in the library besides maps? Sorry if these questions are lame, but like I said I am very new!

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
books that talk about the history of your area...... old newspapers...
zags08 said:
Thanks so much for all the advice.. What type of information should i look up in the library besides maps? Sorry if these questions are lame, but like I said I am very new!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Also check out Google earth in your area. May find some old foundations, houses and such around.
You could go and do the "Amityville horror house" ;D
Lots of beaches there isn't there? In the dry sand could be some nice jewery.

OP
OP
zags08

zags08

May 31, 2009
yup tons of beaches. I am on the look out for old coins as well.. any advice for that? My detector is a bounty discory 1100.. any advice for that as well?

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Welcome to T Net. If your hunting for native american artifacts, you need to find out the laws in your state. New York can be pretty hard on those that interfere with native sites. You don't want to find out the hard way. Good luck and happy hunting.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a lot of research and look for the older places. Get old maps......Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions