Getting started

lextcee

Oct 26, 2010
Hi:

I'm new to his field and am anxious to get started. I have a Pioneer 505 detector. Please weigh in on whether or not this is a good beginners model. But my real question is about getting started. i live in the New York area, close to Long Island. I "get" beaches. Sometimes while driving around I see wooded areas in my neighborhood and get curious if it's worth tooling around to see what I might find. I also want to be consicous of unintentionally pissing off folks by digging around areas that are considered private property. I realize that this is probably "ass backwards"--that most of you do the research as to where you might have the best luck of finding something. If this is indeed the case, can someone give me tips on doing research to locate areas where I can roam freely in hopes of making a find? Is it normal to feel self-conscious pulling off a road to head into the woods to see what I might find? Anyone ever get stopped by the cops? Thanks. Just laying it all out there.....

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Read 700+ times and no replies... I'll be the first. Can't tell you anything about the detector, don't know anything about it. Read your manual, toss a couple of coins out on the grass and run the coil over them. Get used to some of the sounds it makes. Work around your house, in your yard. You may be surprised what you may find. As for driving around, keep your eyes open and look for older structures. Large clumps of trees in middle of farm fields usually mean there is something in there. You can begin your research for places to detect by doing internet searches. Expand from there by visiting your local library, ask about county and town history. Refer to web sites such as this for additional tips.

When you find something you need to recover, don't dig gaping holes and leave them open after you recover your find. Always take the time to fill in your holes.

Most importantly, ASK PERMISSION. Don't assume just because you're in the woods that nobody cares. All property is owned by somebody, either a private citizen, business, city, county, state or federal government. Without permission, you are tresspassing. You can get in trouble, in some places you can loose your detector and have to pay fines. It also gives the rest of us bad names.

Play by the rules (Metal Detecting Code of Ethics) and have fun.

KnuteM

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I need some tips on what Im doin wrong I can't seem to learn my detectors i have 4 of them and I found a few old things but verry little coins I just Bought a 90 to 100 year old home place but i just can't seem to realy find as much as i thought here around 6 to 7 acres here but not much luck maybe Im not digging deep enough i get alot of smooth beeps but most of the time a dry hole any tips

matt

Greenie
Apr 24, 2012
MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, white's coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KnuteM said:
Hello I need some tips on what Im doin wrong I can't seem to learn my detectors i have 4 of them and I found a few old things but verry little coins I just Bought a 90 to 100 year old home place but i just can't seem to realy find as much as i thought here around 6 to 7 acres here but not much luck maybe Im not digging deep enough i get alot of smooth beeps but most of the time a dry hole any tips

You mite want to practice pinpointing with your detector or exing by make a coin garden with a few coins at 2in, 4in, 6in, and put a nail at a few inches also or somthing iron just so you can get use to the different sounds of your detector with different metals. This should help ya out a bit, it helped me and I still use it when I haven't been out detecting in a wile. It will help ya to pinpoint your targets better and that mite be what your having trouble with, when I first started out detecting it took me some time and practice. If your detector has a pinpoint mode it will be a lot easier for you to mark target's. When you swing your detector from side to side, always remember low and slow. Good luck & have fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread