OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Well, I did get the Explorer out again and hunted over a site that I hit hard with the Manticore the previous day. I must say that I was surprised when the Explorer did, in fact, false on most of the iron that the Manticore falsed on. It was not as pronounced on the Explorer. Maybe I was so tuned into the Explorer after years of use, that I don't remember it falsing like that. It made me rethink my previous rants on iron falsing on the Manticore.

One good thing is that I still want to use the Manticore after going back to the old main squeeze Explorer. I worried that the Manticore would sit in the corner.

gadirtfishing

Oct 6, 2023
Yes, the Manticore sniffs out some coins masked by iron. I've found coins like that. Unfortunately it constantly gives a high-tone false off iron, which requires further investigation. Yesterday I hunted a field that once had an old home site. Tons of iron. I did manage to dig one 1865 Indian head cent that rang up a solid 50. Mighty low on the vid. Anyway, I probably listened to at least 300 nice high tones, some nulled with a 90 deg. turn. None of them, that I dug, were coins. My least favorite is a bolt or bent nail down at ten-plus inches that really sounds great even at 90 deg. - open up the hole and it sounds better - only to find another piece of iron. If it sounds great and the depth is maxed out - it is a frickin nail that is most likely off center in the hole. (requiring much effort and digging to find). Can you tell I'm frustrated with this machine?

I have probably put in 50 hours on the Manticore since I got it. I am trying hard to learn it (and like it), but days like yesterday make me want to get my Explorer back out. I know if I do, I might as well sell the Manticore. I was really hoping for more out of this machine. I am beginning to think that the way this machine gives false signals off iron is it's edge to finding hidden coins. Unfortunately I have to dig, a ton of iron to find that once in a while coin. To be fair, a masked coin usually sounds a little better than an iron false signal (but not much).

I would think with such a great option on the Explorers of hunting in ferrous tones (low tone for iron - high tone for non-ferrous), that a similar option would be carried over to new machines. Sure large iron rings up high on the Explorer, but 95 percent of iron targets ring up as iron WITHOUT an iron false. It is easy to tell with the Explorer in ferrous-tones mode.

I will keep trying. I love the weight of the Manticore and the headphones. Anybody else getting frustrated? I saw one video where the guy dug deep iron that sounded good - "If you are a relic hunter you wouldn't want to pass that up." was his comment. That's true, but it is really frustrating for us coin hunters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread