What's new

Ghost Town hunting on 3/4 with Mirage, Nate and Zoso

Danimal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
165
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
There's a spot I have been researching lately (many thanks to the map researcher at the Clevel.Public Library) that was a settlement of homes built sometime in the late 1800s and used by workers of a nearby steel mill for housing. A 1903 USGS map clearly shows over 30 buildings and the roads are dirt and all but unpassable w/out a 4X4 with a lift kit. Armed with maps and laminated aerial photos I met with Bob (Mirage), his son Nate and Dave (Zoso) and we piled into my Element for the 1-1/2 hr drive to the location. As we crept down the dirt road upon arrival, it quickly deteriorated to the point where we parked and continued on foot. Walking was kinda treacherous as well due to lots and lots of flooded areas on the road where the ice was thin enough where it wouldn't support our weight. Thank God we all wore waterproof boots because we all ended up breaking through multiple times into calf-deep water. The sides of the road were lined with heavy thorns and the woods were in deep snow. The hike in was maybe 3/4 mile. Visions of stacked stone foundations were in my mind (and were fueled by descriptions given to me by the two deer hunters who turned me on to the area) but upon arriving at key locations and comparing them to the maps and photos, we were surprised to see no sign of the different home's locations. It was clear at times of the general area because of huge oaks amidst the smaller surrounding forest. The snow cover here was still deep in places and we kinda gravitated towards where there was open areas.
Still learning my DFX I kinda was having difficulty deciding what tones to dig, so I dug a lot of junk. The ground was sometimes completely undiggable, and at other times soft was a mashmallow. While I ended up with no coinage, I found a handful of bullets, a few old-time tire valves (model-T era stuff), a center cap from an old car wheel and some other crap (errhhh,......ummm....I mean relics ;D) I was also having weird pinpointing issues, which went away after I removed my coil cover (which was filled with water)
I hope the other post their finds or pics here, but I did take a pic of the only decent coin found, a 1918 Buffalo Nate found. BTW, he found it less than a foot from where I dug a test hole to test ground hardness!...maybe I should have had my machine turned on!
I think we will go back during warmer weather. The amount of targets in the ground seemed to indicate to me that the area hasn't been detected before.
Here's a few pics of the guys.

Bob and Nate (note Bob's totally inferior headphones!!...it's a wonder he can even hear ANYTHING! ::))
bobnnate.webp
Dave checking out the remains of an old barn's entrance ramp
barnremains.webp
Nate's 1918 Buff
1918buff.webp
My total pile of crap!..(eerhhh...ummm relics)
totals.webp

HH all!
 
Upvote 0
Great post guys. Looks like you had a blast. What is that white stuff on the ground? ;)
I prefer the Kibbles & Bits bacon flavored treats myself. They keep me regular. ;D

Dan,
I went hunting with Ridley last Saturday with his new DFX. Sounds like you guys were having some of the same issues. (Strange tones and pinpointing)
That thing looks too complicated for me. I'm just getting out of 8-tracks. ;D
Thanks for the post & pictures.
-MM-
 
TreasureTales said:
Mirage, you failed to mention your ring find. It looks kinda interesting.


You guys are a riot. Always fun to read your posts. Those MilkBones aren't bad with a cold beer, but with all that snow around you I guess the beer was left at home? LOL You guys have fun even when the junk relics are plentiful and the coins are scarce. That's what counts - the fun and comraderie. And that buffalo nickel ain't bad either. It's all good.

BTW, just to clarify...and before people start talking (well, more than they may be already)...there were no milkbones in that box, ok?
I used the empty box to stash my bag of nachos in so they wouldn't get crushed up in my backpack.
 
Mirage- were there any other identification marks on the cross and crown piece?

ZoSo- Just curious, which detector did the doctors use to find the metal in your eye?
 
ModernMiner said:
Dan
I went hunting with Ridley last Saturday with his new DFX. Sounds like you guys were having some of the same issues. (Strange tones and pinpointing)
That thing looks too complicated for me. I'm just getting out of 8-tracks. ;D
Thanks for the post & pictures.
-MM-

MM...I'll tell you what. My DFX was acting VERRRRY strange for a little while. When I went to DC (pinpoint) it would start sounding off at the highest pitch tone. I would even hold the coil up away from the ground and it would continue! At one point I thought maybe the used DFX I bought was in need of service (although it seemed to work great two weeks ago in a hunt)
I took the stock coil cover off to find it filled with water. With the coil cover off, all was well! I find it hard to believe that a little film of H2O would do that, but what the hey. It even felt noticably lighter with the cover off. I don't think I will be putting that cover back on....
 
Hey Dan, whatever you say about the Milkbones buddy! I watched a friend grab a bag of Pupperoni doggie sticks and take a bite, I thought he was joking around until he said "yuck", guess they taste kind of bland as he said. You want to add to that, LOL! I think the problem with your detector locking into pinpoint mode and sounding off constantly is an occasional norm with many detectors, it has happened several times to me using my Whites XLT and the Minelab XT70, I just stop pinpointing and start over. HH, Mike
 
TXTim said:
Looks like a great place once it warms up!
Looks like western, NY - where i grew up.

Ohio isn't far from Western NY! How far are you guys from Chataqua County. I bet just a couple few hours.
 
Skrimpy said:
TXTim said:
Looks like a great place once it warms up!
Looks like western, NY - where i grew up.

Ohio isn't far from Western NY! How far are you guys from Chataqua County. I bet just a couple few hours.

Skrimpy,
I used to fish Chataqua a lot. It's about a 3 hr drive from where I live. What a lake!...in the same day you can catch big (and I mean BIG) Smallmouth, big Largemouth and while bass fishing have a great chance at hooking a Muskie to boot (happened to me there several times).
 
Half Dime - no other marking on the crown/cross item.

Zoso - Where is the Poision? I would like to see a pic of it cleaned up.

Here is a little better picture of Nate's Buffalo. It's actually a 1918D.
 

Attachments

  • Buffalo1918.webp
    Buffalo1918.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 444
Danimal said:
Skrimpy said:
TXTim said:
Looks like a great place once it warms up!
Looks like western, NY - where i grew up.

Ohio isn't far from Western NY! How far are you guys from Chataqua County. I bet just a couple few hours.

Skrimpy,
I used to fish Chataqua a lot. It's about a 3 hr drive from where I live. What a lake!...in the same day you can catch big (and I mean BIG) Smallmouth, big Largemouth and while bass fishing have a great chance at hooking a Muskie to boot (happened to me there several times).

Reeling those Tiger Muskees are real fun aren't they? Hooked into one once but didn't get it to shore. It cut through the line. I wasn't fishin for them and didn't realize they were even there (wasn't using steel leaders). We were looking for smallmouths (a lot of fun to catch in their own right...you can get them to jump like a trout if you are using top water bait)
 
ZoSo71 said:
Here they are taking a lunch biscut break
Here are the "3 Amigo's" Dan, Bob and Nate making the trek down the road to the site

More like the 3 hardcore amigos going crazy diggin in the frozen ground!
:D
 
The cross & crown emblem is associated with the Knights Templar fraternal order.

croscrown1.gif
 
PBK said:
The cross & crown emblem is associated with the Knights Templar fraternal order.

I was going to say I thought I saw that on a tv program about freemasons and the Knights templar
 
Zoso - Where is the Poision? I would like to see a pic of it cleaned up.

I almost forgot about that....

I don't know what this was used for..But it's a top to a old tube of something "Poison"
I didn't notice the Skull and Crossbones, Until I cleaned it.

I wonder if it had something to do with the reason the town isn't there anymore? ???

poison1.webp

poison2.webp

Sorry for the aweful pictures...I'm still having "Sight" Issues..


ZoSo71
 
Neat finds and peaceful looking place! It looks like an absolutely beautiful winter day. I wish we got a little snow every once in a while (for just a few days though) :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom