Ghost Town

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a small ghost town northeast of Roswell, NM that's sited half on state land, and half on private land. The most pristine of what little is left is on state land. In order to actual see the site, you have to pass through through a locked gate. I have the gate code because the land's owner gave me permission to hunt on it. This past week, one of my co-detectorists and I drove up to have a look see, and take a few photos. Although we did have equipment with us, we didn't take is out of the vehicle. While I am easy to find (look at this photo of my truck), I didn't expect to get a letter in the mail as a result of our trip! Apparently an employee of the private landowner saw me, and reported it to his supervisor. That person didn't realize the owner had given me permission. Had they ask at the time, I would have produced a copy of the email giving me and okay. In any case, the letter mentioned the Antiquities Act!

What this shows is, that folks are going to see you no matter who your are, even if your vehicle isn't signed like mine is! Incidentally, I never did see anyone except one rancher I passed on the road in!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Alan!! Yea Old Buddy, I don't know how you would ever gain any attention with that TRUCK!! He He!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
Alan Applegate

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Verde, there is a hidden agenda!

A good friend of mine owns a vehicle racing team. He wanted me to put one of his signs on my vehicle as an advertisement. No way! But he came up with this, and paid good money to have it installed. The hidden agenda is, I can park anywhere in town, and never get a parking ticket! I once parked in front of the UFO museum for nearly 8 hours. Literally hundreds of people took their families photos standing by the truck. The vehicles in front and behind all had parking tickets. Mine did not! I have even gotten a few free meals out of the deal. When I travel, I get thumbs up, asked to pull over, surrounded at rest stops, and folks just go wild! The fact the vehicle has four amateur radio antennas mounted on it doesn't distract! I always tell folks it is the only way I can talk to the aliens!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Alan!! Love It!! Great Idea!! Your Passenger looks Very Comfortable!! He He!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread