Ghost Towns in the Black Hills of South Dakota

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Being a history buff and metal detectorist, I was looking for new places to explore and MD.
I wanted "new" areas, and areas that would provide good finds. Four years ago, I set out to
publish a book on the Ghost Towns In The Black Hills of South Dakota. It became a much
larger undertaking than I ever thought. Many hours were devoted to visiting with old timers
and countless hours involved time at the Library going through reel after reel of old micro-
fische tapes. I have finally succeeded. So, if any one wants information on a certain old
Ghost Town in the Black Hills, you need only to contact me. I have came up with 246 old
Ghost Towns and am presently compiling printed pictures where they are located off of a
Black Hills National Forest Map. Since the map is copy-writed, I cannot sell the pictures but
I can send you a picture, free of charge if you pay for the envelope.

Very cool!!

I used to live in Rockerville (I'm sure you know where that is). I found a number of old camp remnants on Iron mountain and along Battle Creek toward Keystone.

I have not been back to MD, but I believe it would be fun.

WM

I would love to touch base with you Goodie Hunter. I see this is an old post, are you still active?

I messaged goodie_hunter in June of 2015 regarding his information on ghost towns in the Black Hills that he had compiled, I still haven't received a response to this day. He was last active on here about 13 months ago.

Maitland, Yep, I have been gone for a while. Involved in horrendous accident, (not my fault) but it took out of doing anything for months. I am back now and finally getting back into the groove.

Okay, so to clarify, usagold, you're the same person as goodie_hunter? Just want to be on the same page so I'm understanding things correctly. :) Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're doing better.

Okay, so to clarify, usagold, you're the same person as goodie_hunter? Just want to be on the same page so I'm understanding things correctly. :) Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're doing better.
Yes Maitland, I am goodie hunter. Been trying hard for a few years to get back on my feet. Taking longer than I anticipated. Not up to par yet, but getting closer. One of these days, world look out.

Towards the end of March, 2013, I was involved in a terrible accident.
A newbie Semi-driver, dropped his cell phone while driving, lost control of his rig, crossed the center median, and struck me head on with his truck.
For the last three years, I have been trying to recuperate and get my life back together. I have had many other things on my mind, trying to get well,
so everything, EVERYTHING, was put on hold, including all of my rock bulletin boards,(which I almost forgot how to use), my ability to drive or even walk.
I have came a long ways in the last three years despite having close to 1/2 pound of space age material in my neck and backbone. I still need surgery on
both feet but am trying to stumble along the best I can until then. I changed my name to usagold just recently and then found out I was known as
goodie hunter, so goodie hunter it will be. I have missed all your postings and such during that time, but I am coming back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back