devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Historical Story and tragedy as well. Thanks for posting. I hope many more of these old photo's can be saved. We can learn a lot about the past from some of these old photo's from folks who lived in our past.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
There is something very intriguing and Mona Lisa-esque about that bare shouldered girl. I'm also guessing that photo was considered risque and bordering on scandalous in the 1850's. Makes me wonder what her backstory is. And believe me, I am wondering.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is something very intriguing and Mona Lisa-esque about that bare shouldered girl. I'm also guessing that photo was considered risque and bordering on scandalous in the 1850's. Makes me wonder what her backstory is. And believe me, I am wondering.
The portrait is not at all risqué for early - mid 19th century fashion. Off-the-shoulder evening dresses were common, especially for younger, unmarried women. Daguerreotype photography was expensive, so everyone dressed in their best for the sitting.

89fe9594f610fa8fcd3feecf3f337811.jpg

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The portrait is not at all risqué for early - mid 19th century fashion. Off-the-shoulder evening dresses were common, especially for younger, unmarried women. Daguerreotype photography was expensive, so everyone dressed in their best for the sitting.

OK, but I'm still going to wonder about her backstory. I'm usually ambivalent about the beauty of pre-1920s women. But for the guy who could get her to let her hair down she seems like she would be a maze of passion you could get lost in for a lifetime.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
she is a looker for sure . pity that she died most likely

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Mona Lisa Of The Depths"... is a perfect name for that picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions