Giant Amethyst Geodes

Upvote 0
Wow! For someone that loves amethyst like I do.....I had never even imagined a geode that size! I would love to have one even one tenth that size in my living room! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
fasttracker said:
I would slap some glass over the front of that first one and make a kick a$$ fish tank :P

That's actually a really cool idea. If I were rich I would do just that. ;D

Upvote 0
fish tank idea would be cool.... until the algae starts to grow and cover da purdy purple

Upvote 0
Cynangyl said:
Wow! For someone that loves amethyst like I do.....I had never even imagined a geode that size! I would love to have one even one tenth that size in my living room! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How much do you like amethyst ? Show us a photo of your favorite opeice. Thanks

CZ

Upvote 0
These amethyst geodes are easily available at any gem & mineral show. There are literally tons of these sold in Tucson every year. They are known as "cathedrals" in the trade.

A nice cathedral to decorate an average-size room can be had for $150 - $400. Gross size of the piece and size of the individual crystals and their esthetic arrangement (plus any unusual structure or inclusion) govern the price. You can get them in the citrine color as well, sometimes mixed. Here's how they come into Tucson:

cathedrals.jpg

Upvote 0
Speaking of geodes, how do you break one open? I find dozens of geodes in the sites I hunt. Tried to break one open, and it broke my shovel. So, haven't
tried that again. Would like to break them open in the field, so if they did not have anything in them, I wouldn't have to lug them home.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
hikeinmts said:
Speaking of geodes, how do you break one open? I find dozens of geodes in the sites I hunt. Tried to break one open, and it broke my shovel. So, haven't
tried that again. Would like to break them open in the field, so if they did not have anything in them, I wouldn't have to lug them home.
Any suggestions?

Depends on the geode, but first I score a line all the way around the geode where I want it to break, then use a hammer and chisel at the line to break it open. Striking the chisel first along the line to get it started then hitting harder as I go around until it breaks open. At home I use a rock saw depending on the type of geode.

Those geodes you find in Korea should all have mineral crystals inside. :thumbsup:

Here is a link I found complete with videos for breaking open geodes: http://www.geodegallery.com/breakinggeodes.html

When I am gathering geodes in the field I use an old Brunswick bowling ball caddy to haul them with.

Goodyguy~

Upvote 0
Very nice Geode Road Dog :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back