Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This one's for you diggumup:

Picked up some vintage tackle and a glass pitcher and I need everyone's help ID'ing it all, please:

The pitcher has a pontil mark on the bottom but it doesnt look all that old.

The tackle is self explanatory, just trying to see what the individual lures are. The 2nd one below the big one looks like ivory and is marked "Made in Japan". The little tube is marked "Never Leak Drop Oil Can". The rods are marked Gliebe Co, Brooklyn and I THINK they are split bamboo rods?

This last one's just for fun picked up on Saturday for $7:
-Rusty pair of 1933 NJ License Plates
-Harman Kardon 730 Twin Power Receiver

Attachments

• pitcher.jpg
    pitcher.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • tackle.jpg
    tackle.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • lures1.jpg
    lures1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,139
  • lures2.jpg
    lures2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • plates.jpg
    plates.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • hk1.jpg
    hk1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,134

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Man, you really never know what you'll find!
Check into getting more info. on those lures- some vintage ones can be worth big bucks!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's start at the bottom and work our way up. The receiver as you probably already know will fetch you around $100 or more as long as everything is functioning properly.
The license plates are cool but not worth much.
The small "made in japan ivory looking" jig lure is probably bone, as well as the larger handmade (flatfish shaped) one for sure. Here is what looks to be an exact match (without the mention of made in japan) of the small one that sold for $25.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Han...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5890c33406
The big lure is a little unusual in shape and design, is it wood, is it marked?
The "never leak one drop oil can" sold for $19.51 in Nov. 2009, (check with a magnifying glass for a patent date of 1904)
Based on the lead sinker sizes and the spoons, jigs etc., it looks to have been used for saltwater pier/bridge fishing maybe, not to mention the pole and reel. That stuff appears to be 1940's or earlier in my opinion.
I found this about the rod, you mentioned "rods" are they identical and are the reels marked?
- The Gliebe company was a sporting goods company in Brooklyn, NY. They did not make rods. Rather, they had rods made by other companies and their name put on the labels. This is a common practice in the industry and these are called trade or private label rods.
It does appear to have done business from about 1902-1960 or so...at least...
I found a couple of links to online auctions for rods with the Gliebe name that were listed in the $25-$50 range. Depending on when this rod was built, it would be either bamboo or fiberglass. Fiberglass would indicate sometime from the early 1950s forward. If your rod is four sided it may be solid fiberglass (not hollow).
Prior to the early 1950s, most of the rods would be either bamboo or a solid wood like greenheart, ash or hickory. If yours is six sided and looks like wood, it is probably bamboo. If it is round and looks like wood, it is probably greenheart.

The glass pitcher although handblown, isn't worth much unfortunately. Unless it's an identifiable pattern/maker I usually stay away from them. I have a half a dozen or so that I purchased in years passed as evidence of the "isn't worth much".

S

stefen

NJ classic car owners with vehicles dated upto 1933 are on the lookout for plates...these can always be reconditioned...

Take a Ford Model B (1933-34) show car, an owner would easily drop a $100 bill or so in the existing condition...

Advertize in the Ford Club of America or NJ Ford Club... :thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
NJ classic car owners with vehicles dated upto 1933 are on the lookout for plates...these can always be reconditioned...

Take a Ford Model B (1933-34) show car, an owner would easily drop a $100 bill or so in the existing condition...

Advertize in the Ford Club of America or NJ Ford Club... :thumbsup:
Bad thing is there are several pairs to choose from on Ebay for less than $10 right now, and completed listings show about the same, some not even selling for that.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Its all good on the plates... I picked them up to hang in my garage anyway so I dont mind that they arent worth much. I love cars and I love NJ history so these are perfect for me. Not to mention I saved them from an old chimney in someone's attic!

BTW, those old reels are "Lousiville Casting Reel Jewelled" and a "Bronson Mercury" with an engraved scene of people fishing.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bronson sounds like the "Mercury no.2550" version, it was produced before and after WWII. The Louisville casting reel is an older reel and worth more than the more ornate Bronson. Could be worth a lot more depending on the condition, model, and who's bidding. Should be a number under the foot. 30, 60, or 80 probably.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
diggummup said:
The "never leak one drop oil can" sold for $19.51 in Nov. 2009, (check with a magnifying glass for a patent date of 1904)

Diggum, what service are you using for history that far back?

Great insight on all the items.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEANO said:
diggummup said:

Just detective work. I found this -http://feedback.ebay.com.my/ws/eBay...d=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=61&page=6 (3rd one down item#170406546617), took notice of the date. Then I went to the sellers feedback page-http://feedback.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=fossil6057&ftab=AllFeedback
guestimated the page it would be on and found it after 3 tries on page 42, near the bottom. :thumbsup: Actually there are new ones and similar olde2 ones (without the date) that are listed all over for up to $50. A popular little oiler with many uses from guns to fishing reels to sewing machines.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
diggummup said:
SEANO said:
diggummup said:

Just detective work. I found this -http://feedback.ebay.com.my/ws/eBay...d=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=61&page=6 (3rd one down item#170406546617), took notice of the date. Then I went to the sellers feedback page-http://feedback.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=fossil6057&ftab=AllFeedback
guestimated the page it would be on and found it after 3 tries on page 42, near the bottom. :thumbsup: Actually there are new ones and similar olde2 ones (without the date) that are listed all over for up to $50. A popular little oiler with many uses from guns to fishing reels to sewing machines.

Great job! I've been debating if I sure use a service, but I'm just too cheap. :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEANO said:
diggummup said:
SEANO said:
diggummup said:

Great job! I've been debating if I sure use a service, but I'm just too cheap. :)
You talikng about Worthpoint? I'm not giving anyone my cc info. for a free trial. Sorry. Much less paying for it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread