GLASS INSULATORS--LUCKY FIND

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
First stop this morning an older park in the Joliet, Illinois area. Hoped to catch a few older coins but came away with only clad. 6 pennies, 2 dimes, 1 quarter.

Second stop was an old abandoned industrial area also in the Joliet area. The building had been standing and empty in the past when I was in the area, must have just fallen in and I was the lucky scavenger to come across it first.

Never knew that the glass insulators were used inside buildings. These were hidden in the roof area and only became visible when it caved in.

All are green glass; 12 are "Brookfield", 3 are "Petticoat- Hemingray" which I have not recovered in Illinois in the past.(notice the teeth on the base of these.)

all have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Attachments

• roof s.jpg
    roof s.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 583
  • insulroofats (Small).jpg
    insulroofats (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 529
OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: GLASS INSULATORS--NICE GREEN

More pics.

S

Attachments

• insultes (Small).jpg
    insultes (Small).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 801
  • insul15s.jpg
    insul15s.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 616

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: GLASS INSULATORS--NICE GREEN

Great finds! You could call it an "insulator cache" :D Wonder why they would need them inside? I have a few of those brookfield ones i got at a flea market.

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

like you I thought that they were only used outside, figured houses had smaller types. Have a few locations where the roof is hidden and when I'm in those areas again I will be sure to check those out also.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Sherm! A great collection all in one day! Those are nice!

;)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Looks like a great site, there were no other metal things in the ground, no bricks with makers marks, no bottles, no other treasures :o Im sure theres some hiding there somewhere ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Find Shermanville.

I don't see them Too Much any more.

I'm supprised By the INSIDE thing Also.

I wonder IF the Powerline was There & they added the Inclosure Later. ;D

jeff

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i found in one building where they were used to hold wire that was connected to grounding rods, i think it was a primitive lightning rod set-up to keep the building from burning in case of lightning strike.....i have washtubs of these insulators that were found by skirting railroad tracks. the insulators are always within 20 ft or so off the side of the rr bed and seem to be found along all of the older tracks in my area..............gldhntr

OP
OP
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR,

thanks a lot for the info. In my old age I'm learning something new every day, besides learning that I'm getting older every day.

Book sounds interesting, have to check it out.

Have a few more insulators out in the garage and have to check out what type they are.

Again, thank you for the info. Now I don't have to call them teeth and can call them drip points.

you and yours have a good un
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread