What's new

glass leg inserts?

fmerg

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
905
Reaction score
750
Golden Thread
1
Location
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son fond a place along the hudson river in ny that has 1000's of these laying in the mud
there seems to be 3 sizes of them this being the middle size
they look like they were ment to be inserted in a hollow tube
any idea has to what they really are and maybe an age?
 

Attachments

  • 2009.05.17-DSCF2958.webp
    2009.05.17-DSCF2958.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 289
Size reference please.

3 different sizes referring to the style of glass object?
 
Upvote 0
Hi,
I believe these are probably Glass reflectors that were inset into signs at one time, if we could track down the application for sure and it does turn out to be some kind of sign insert, they sell for pretty good money to restorers, not much, but maybe $1-3 each...
look up glass sign reflector on a auction site and see, most were rounded glass cats eyes, but these are probably later? at least that's what I think... maybe..
 
Upvote 0
wow right on the money
there was a sign company that had a warehouse close by
it seems that durning a flood they lost some cases of these
now to deside if we need to pick em all up and find a buyer or what to do
if anyone on t-net wants some let us know and we will get it worked out
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Are your sure on this ID? We have had them here before and they do not look like this. They dont appear reflective. Does a light go behind it?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,156604.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,144751.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,41238.0.html
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
IronSpike said:
Are your sure on this ID? We have had them here before and they do not look like this. They dont appear reflective. Does a light go behind it?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,156604.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,144751.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,41238.0.html

Agree they don't look like the ones posted on Tnet. Maybe I should change my post to 'I agree' i.s.o. 'good ID' (sorry about that). I based my opinion on the pictures on the links I posted (granted those pics are not conclusive). Now if these glass objects are 4-5" in diameter I would change my opinion.
 
Upvote 0
Yes we need the size please. :D

Also shine a light at nite to see if they are reflective.


These are curious pieces with a corrugated base or surface. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Could be for something else of course, but I have had many of the inserts and signs thru the years and there are as many different types of inserts, just like different sizes of keys..lol.. the last batch of these I had were much like these flat on the top, with corrugated on the bottom to reflect the light, these were inserted in a metal shell with a shiny backing inside the shell to reflect light better.
as always, they could be for something else... but as he said, there was a sign factory close, and lots of product was lost in a flood, so these just could be the remnants of that flood, especially if they were lost by the thousands. but I'm not always right.. at least that is what my wife reminds me of all the time. They very well could be for something else. I have seen these before if I could just remember what it was associated with I'd be more sure..lol..
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom