Goats head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

I went detecting this morning at Ft.Lauderdale on the beach. I didn't find anything but a bunch of clad,the typical 200 bottlecaps and pulltabs and one small gold earring that I spyed by eye. However,lying on the beach,just off the surf line was a goat's head. This thing still had a tag in it's ear. What the heck is something like this doing on the beach? I might add that several weeks earlier down the road a piece at another beach, one morning at sunrise I saw a group of Haitians having some kind of ritual or Baptism or something, right at the water's edge.I also found many pieces of used candles lying near where they were doing whatever it was they were doing. I got 2 questions,the first is, do you think this goat was used in some sort of Voodoo or Santeria ritual? The second question is- Can I track down this goat's owner by the ID tag that is posted here?

Attachments

• goat head lauderdale.jpg
    goat head lauderdale.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,718
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

DJ_Quinn said:
Did Gypsy get that recipe from the Rolling Stones album "Goat's Head Soup"?

That's undoubtably a left over souvenier from a Santeria ritual. Strange, unsanitary, disturbing, but a Carribian belief system that uses the sacrifice of animals in its rituals. To each their own, but they should not have left that behind on the beach. Besides the obvious health concerns, it could be upsetting to a child. Has anyone ever found a shrunken head? ;-0
Ha ha! If I ever do,I will be calling the law on that one. :)

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to s

Maybe if you return it to it's owner this thread will get moved to "Honorable Mention"?

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to s

Wetgreenie said:
Maybe if you return it to it's owner this thread will get moved to "Honorable Mention"?

Hahaha! Those Santaria rituals are pretty strange, the original owner may have a human body. :o

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Goat's head on the beach!You GOTTA see this!Warning- Pic may be graphic to some!

DJ_Quinn-don't laugh,I was raised in Prince Georges county Maryland.Google "Goatman" and you'll see what I mean! :o I posted a story on this forum some time back about an "experience" I had out in the woods once when I was a kid.Childish imagination? Probably.On a lighter note,I finally received an email back from the GA/APHIS/ U.S.D.A.Veterinary services saying that she will look into the matter and try to track down the number.With a nice little quote at the bottom of the email from Mahatma Gandhi-"You may never know what results come from your action;but if you do nothing,there will be no result" So I guess we'll see.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not to worry Goatman moved to hollywood and is now the star of hits like "the island of Dr.mourou " Also if you look close at charelston Heston in "Moses" i think you will see what i mean ! :D ::) ;D

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah he does resemble the goatman a little doesn't he? Then so does this guy! ;D

Attachments

• cheston102.jpg
    cheston102.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 457
  • goatman.jpg
    goatman.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 466

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

Oh man, you guys are starting to scare me! The goat man??? That's one dude I don't want to run into out in the woods alone. We can sure find some strange stuff when you go out detecting...

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would I recognize it if I get lucky? :D

It's called ambergris and it's typically just a waxy grayish amber blob and floats if in the water. It can be found in blobs up to 50kg and sells for about $20/gram. so you can see how valuable a single find can be. A 50kg blob @ $20/gram =$1-million. It comes from the Sperm Whale which is why it's so rare. It's used in perfume production.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture doesn't look like any I've ever seen but then I'm no expert...only have seen a lot of photos. Finding it is only half the equation...selling it is the larger problem. IF you are lucky enough to find any...you're first stop after it's indentified as ambergris should be to an attorney.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread