Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Harkening back to Cool-Hand-Fluke's post about gates of schools being left ajar I decided today to peruse the local elementary schools to see if I could find any 'open campuses' to hunt. I don't dig in the grass or other manicured areas in schoolyards just the dirt around the fences and in the tot-lots. I google mapped schools and the first one I checked was wide open! About a half hour into hunt got a scratchy signal and decided 'why not its shallow' and out popped a 10K beauty outta the hole. Thought it was a junker but I always check the inner band and saw writing, I feel foolish but wasn't even aware that 10k gold tarnishes...Its small and only 10k but I'm super-stoked! Now I need to buy a diamond tester :). After getting home I was sorting the clad into what needs tumbling and discovered an IHP and a Roosevelt presidential token mixed in the modern clad...must be older ground under the school. Anyway I'm going to return tomorrow hope I get another one fingers crossed. Thanks for looking and reading bit verbose today.

Attachments

• stones.JPG
    stones.JPG
    954.5 KB · Views: 173
  • open gate.JPG
    open gate.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
  • .308 round.JPG
    .308 round.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • makers.JPG
    makers.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • ring cleaned.JPG
    ring cleaned.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • pile.JPG
    pile.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • token.JPG
    token.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • IHP.JPG
    IHP.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • arrow of light.JPG
    arrow of light.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Upvote 33
OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gate open / gate locked , so do tell, what's the sign on the gate say ? I used to love hunting the school yards but all that stopped 15 years ago and would now get me a trespassing ticket. the last time I went to a school the cops were there within 15 mins and told me to leave and not return. same at all the parks here too , they hate relic hunters.
The sign just refers visitors to check in at the front office but it's closed in summer they just unlock it for the community to use on the weekends, the cops here are pretty laid-back smallish town and we can dig all town parks.

Thats terrible that diggers get hassled like that in some places, it was like that where I grew up as well, very uptight near a big city out east and probably would get in trouble for detecting anywhere but a private permission. I do avoid the grass even though its allowed due to respect for the gardener and frankly I'm kind of lazy about digging deep holes so I'm pretty zero trace. Tried water hunting today for first time failed miserably need a scoop lol. Thanks for looking, take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread