jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, it looks like it was filmed in an aquarium. I worked as a Marine Biologist for years, and know personally that many of the more dramatic scenes are filmed in aquariums, then tied in with wild footage. Look at that perfectly formed hole for an octopus habitat. In fact the whole scene in the picture doesn't look natural.

That's just my opinion, and my wife says I'm wrong quite often.

Cheers

Yea I'm thinking Red Brick, Artificial Reef Or as you said Aquarium

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I'm thinking Red Brick, Artificial Reef Or as you said Aquarium

Yep, I dove large tanks for years. I know, and have dove, aquarium habitats of the largest caliber in the US. I know one when I see one, and explaining small nuances is futile. And Nat-Geo - yep, I worked extensively with them filming in tanks as well.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a theory, here is my theory. View attachment 1456438 They filmed locally as stated on their Facebook page...and the diver missed it because the pressure to find an octopus had him having tunnel vision. Apparently they were seeking an octopus egg nest...according to the Facebook post.

I don't know if you are a diver or not but I have been one for 37 years. Divers DO NOT have tunnel vision. We have to stay alert and know EVERYTHING around us as to stay safe. Fishing line, danger, logs, danger, lots of different salt water fish, danger. We don't go after just one thing and not know our surroundings. I tend to agree with Scrappy. STAGED in an aquarium.

And I am not a once a month diver, I dive 2 to three times a day 4 - 6 days a week. Although strictly in fresh water now, I dove for three years in Okinawa Japan. I got stung or bit by something in Okinawa that made my hand numb for about 15 minutes. You watch for EVERYTHING in the ocean. Don't need shark or sea snakes or anything sneaking up on you or you might disturb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usernotfound

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if you are a diver or not but I have been one for 37 years. Divers DO NOT have tunnel vision. We have to stay alert and know EVERYTHING around us as to stay safe. Fishing line, danger, logs, danger, lots of different salt water fish, danger. We don't go after just one thing and not know our surroundings. I tend to agree with Scrappy. STAGED in an aquarium.

And I am not a once a month diver, I dive 2 to three times a day 4 - 6 days a week. Although strictly in fresh water now, I dove for three years in Okinawa Japan. I got stung or bit by something in Okinawa that made my hand numb for about 15 minutes. You watch for EVERYTHING in the ocean. Don't need shark or sea snakes or anything sneaking up on you or you might disturb.

Well, if that gold bar could sting and make that Divers' hand numb, it would...cause he clearly missed it. Your point is that even a 37 year old veteran can lose track of his surroundings and get stung/bitten, thanks for the support.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, if that gold bar could sting and make that Divers' hand numb, it would...cause he clearly missed it. Your point is that even a 37 year old veteran can lose track of his surroundings and get stung/bitten, thanks for the support.

Actually no. That happened the very first year I dove in Okinawa right after being certified. I have been a fresh water diver since 1981. I didn't lose track of my surroundings, I tried to turn over a piece of corral and I stuck my hand behind it without looking.

You don't do that in the ocean!

I will not say for sure where this was taken or if it was missed or after the camera was turned off it was taken. We will never know. Only the diver and the camera man knows. Absolutely no use to speculate because we were not there. No professional diver should have tunnel vision though. That would be deadly in the ocean.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats one of those scream at the TV moments.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dove for three years in Okinawa Japan. I got stung or bit by something in Okinawa that made my hand numb for about 15 minutes. You watch for EVERYTHING in the ocean. Don't need shark or sea snakes or anything sneaking up on you or you might disturb.

I agree. I dove Okinawa 86-89 and did 247 day and night logged dives there. Found a couple of the famous blue ring octopus while "shelling". Seen numerous stone fish, stinging plants and corals and several varieties of deadly cones. Sea snakes and sea urchins all over. Experienced divers pay attention to where they touch or grab so they don't pay a painful price.

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to need GPS coordinates

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly... looks like a bar to me.

I also see something glimmering above the bar.

OP
OP
usernotfound

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to need GPS coordinates
I was in Asheville last weekend... uh, I don't know what "aquarium" that's located in, further, I've never seen fake bars in aquariums, some of these experts might have a better clue. I've disclosed an info I've run across.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have fully analyzed this vid ... enlarged paused... zoomed in on stills... but up the DPI... etc.

Tis legit IMO...

AND... It looks like a 400 ounce ingot.

What amazes me is... this person was less than 2 feet from it and never saw it... NOR did the editing team... OR did they :)... heh

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No mate, he saw it, infact I would bet he has seen 1000 times before that was even shot. Pure eye candy, tank bait, click bait even. I would bet no other Youtube vid about an Octa ever had so many clicks. LOL

I have fully analyzed this vid ... enlarged paused... zoomed in on stills... but up the DPI... etc.

Tis legit IMO...

AND... It looks like a 400 ounce ingot.

What amazes me is... this person was less than 2 feet from it and never saw it... NOR did the editing team... OR did they :)... heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mate, he saw it, infact I would bet he has seen 1000 times before that was even shot. Pure eye candy, tank bait, click bait even. I would bet no other Youtube vid about an Octa ever had so many clicks. LOL

So what are you saying ?> ?

That you think its staged / set up ? ? ?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that like others have pointed out this was a man made habitat and that the effigie was placed in the tank for what ever reason.

I am sure you dive, right or know divers. When your under you always keep an eye out, I started my diving years in the Army, and even then beit training or real world there was always a purpose, and many of times under I had things catch my eye that was not part of the task at hand. I would wager to say that nearly every diver has a higher natural level of curiosity than most people.

This past mothers day my wife went under to MD at a lake in Germany, a place that was nailed with flooding not too long ago. This lake used to have tons of Jon boats just left on teh shore by the fisherman who use them. Flood warnings came after the Rhein breached the banks (sounds about normal), major RV site lost everything, boats just gone and not found, RVs washing away, cars it was just wild.

So my wife comes up to unload her finds bag and go back down; she says hey I found a bunch of Jon boats and row boats down there. She said do you think those people where not smart enough to even look and assumed it washed away. We reported it to a mate of mine who Commands the local THW (Emergency Disaster Agency in Germany) in that area, he said they had always suspected it but with no proof there is no exploration funding for private property. He said it was only a matter of time before some went down and found boats or other property so funding could then be cut to recover, in turn justify their job and make the local government look good like it is a clean up act and getting people their stuff back.

Point is, no matter why you go down you normally see or find something else that catches your eye; 100% plant. Had that not of been a plant then it would have been cut in editing because they would figure viewers would not watch a scientific doc if the beaker can not even spot a gold bar. No octa is that captivating, not even to the biggest nerd. The biggest nerd would have found that and thought of more funding for exploration on a government grant. LOL

Just my thoughts though, but still a scream at the TV scene totally.

So what are you saying ?> ?

That you think its staged / set up ? ? ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol... yeah I have dove once or twice... heh

And... guess what... I have also seen gold before.

:P

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a diver AND a camera man, so both would have had to miss that.

There is a version of this on Youtube that is the full version, not the edited version.
They went to a set of coordinates and dove, so they know the location.

Looking at the location, it would be difficult to understand why there would be a shipwreck there, it is calm, protected waters...

Perhaps the Canadian sense of humor.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to me the guy is looking right at it, and his left hand, blue glove, holding a light,
and he's bracing on a rock, perhaps because of wave surge.
Besides, how could you miss such an object? The gold is still gleaming, hardly illuminated much by the dive light...!
He's thinking....so much for those stupid octopuses, I'm grabbin' the gold...! :laughing7:
Thanks for the post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread