Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Please educate us that simply don’t no, this metal called silver and gold how did they determine the actual price and other metals such as platinum is worth more. I mean is this a dam game or is it the demand for something that’s hard to find or mind. The gold standard means what now. (deleted for rule infraction)
No expert here but the value of the metal is based on extraction cost, involving energy, labor, equipment, processing etc...some metals rarer than others and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So extracted gold or whatever in simple terms removing it determines the cost or weight

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er, please remember this is not the politics forum, politics not allowed in this forum....

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old line of wisdom says "gold is where you find it!" Same applies to gold coins! I have been detecting for nearly 50 years now and have never found a gold coin. I have found plenty of silver; dollars, halves, quarters, dimes and war nickels. But so far, no gold coins! I guess I just never got he loop over them where I've detected! Tough luck for me, eh!?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been detecting over 45 years and still haven't dug a Gold coin. For the last two years, I have been digging and keeping all pulltab signals just to see how many I find before I dig my next Gold jewelry item.

The other factor that affects our chances of finding a Gold coin is to understand what ID number your detector will display with a Gold coin under the coil.

For my E-TRAC, the ID conductive numbers for the $1, $2.50, $5 and the $10 Gold coins range from a nickel, old style pull tab, new pulltab and a zinc penny.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You no what’s very important to no basically on any coin in the ground, the deeper it is you very well may get a different vdi number or tone, it’s common sense surface find strong tone and I’d, deeper it will differ. If not true please educate me. But I don’t no of any detectors that give you a 100% vdi, or tone also all coins and relics aren’t laying flat either. Any comments or is this standard just because of depth and angles, thanks

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the other issues with gold coins is that they fit right into that same trash range that most detectorist, especially coin shooters, either try to avoid or notch out.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother was born in 1926 in a small town in Utah. As a small child, my mother and a few of her friends found a coin in the dirt. They didn’t recognize the coin, none of the kids had ever seen a coin like it before. It was during the depression and most people in that area didn’t have much money anyway. She remembers the coin wasn’t the same color as a penny and wasn’t the same size as a nickel and it had an Indian on it. Uncertain what the coin was, the children decided to try and spend it on some candy. They took it to the store and asked the woman who ran it if they could use the coin to by some candy. The woman told them they could pick some candy out and took the coin and put it in the register. They probably walked out of there with 20 cents worth of candy and no change.

Another coin story from my mother’s childhood. It was the Fourth of July and there was a big celebration in her town. Her father gave her and her brothers each a silver dollar to spend. Having that kind of spending money was very unusual for them. It was a lot of money and she remembers thinking about how special it was that her father had given them each a dollar! She was so impressed that she felt like she shouldn’t even spend it. She remembers holding it in her hands and really cherishing the silver dollar that was given to her. Being so impressed with it she remembered noticing it had “cc” on it. I asked her what happened to it. She was pretty sure she spent it on treats at the celebration.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You no what’s very important to no basically on any coin in the ground, the deeper it is you very well may get a different vdi number or tone, it’s common sense surface find strong tone and I’d, deeper it will differ. If not true please educate me. But I don’t no of any detectors that give you a 100% vdi, or tone also all coins and relics aren’t laying flat either. Any comments or is this standard just because of depth and angles, thanks

Agree with your comment that the deeper the coin is can affect the ID number. The point bigscoop and I are making is that Gold coins fall into the nickel and Aluminum range and most people tend to discriminate out these items.

I know of one person in Michigan that has found two Gold coins in parks near Detroit. Some people are just lucky.

Our detecting friends located in California have imo, a better chance of finding Gold coins then we do here since many were lost during the Gold rush days.

Here's a cool video from the California Relic Adventures guys actually finding Gold coins!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You no what we all want to find a gold coin you no what I say your going to need more than luck. Let’s put this is perspective, gold coins for the early settlers must have been rare I mean if they where poor how would they get in first place. Silver coins can be found by anyone. Who could afford gold coins, my goodness if your living in a shack or cabin. In America other than ship wrecks where are they, anyone care to state there case.

Where are they ? Dunno, But everything I have ever read on the subject says... There is more UN-found gold That is (OUT OF circulation than in circulation):occasion14:

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
33 years of detecting, and I've never found one. I know of at least 3 members in my club, who have found one.

All About Tone

Greenie
Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find them in museums, you'll need a different kind of "detector" for that. :blackbeard:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
during covid 2020 spring/summer shut down, had a chance to
search an area, where a gold coin could have been lost, but no
coin of any kind. chalked it up to it had been hit with a deeper
seeking machine. so researching for more areas, ran across a
couple of articles, blogs on where the gold & silver of old went

https://www.texmetals.com/news/why-so-many-coins-were-melted-and-the-resulting-rare-coins/

thought there was a pt 1,cant find link now
https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/where-coins-went-not-always-known-2

https://coinweek.com/dealers-compan...-over-270-million-of-these-coins-were-melted/

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a huge component of luck involved in finding gold coins. Years ago there was a Tnet member detecting out in a Minnesota woods where he found a old saddle bag with I think it was three gold coins in it. Most of the time when you detect in the woods in this part of the country you find nothing but shotgun shells and wood ticks.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm well, if I knew I sure wouldn't be posting about it - The more you dig and vary locations, the more you will find in general.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a quarter, half or silver dollar from the 1800's, so the odds of me finding a gold coin are pretty long. The areas I hunt were mainly comprised of farmers and mill workers back then, so they definitely didn't have a lot of money in their pockets. Mill workers were paid about 10 cents an hour in the 1860's, so it would be a big deal to lose even one dime. Losing a silver dollar or a $1 gold coin would be like losing a day's pay in a blink of an eye.

Bottom line, very few people possessed gold coins and almost no one was walking around with them in their pockets. So it's not our fault that we can't find them. They were never there in the first place!

brainpan

Greenie
Jun 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think I'd ever find one after really getting into this hobby putting in the time and realizing the odds. How the hell do you lose a coin that big? One just never knows what the next scrap aluminum target will really be. wireless keyboard and mouse

Last edited:

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy has a $1 gold coin, me and my dad both got a $2.5, it’s pretty much luck unless you’re hunting shipwreck beaches where you know they might be.
Hell, we were at a newer house spot digging 20th century junk when we found ours. Grandpa and all his buddy’s have been digging for 40 years and never found one or seen anyone dig one. They’re definitely out there, we see people find one atleast one couple of months on tnet but I think we forget sometimes how rare they truly are.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think I'd ever find one after really getting into this hobby putting in the time and realizing the odds. How the hell do you lose a coin that big? One just never knows what the next scrap aluminum target will really be.

Gold coins can be small.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread