What's new

Gold Cross & Silver ring "yay"

Mr.Excavator

Full Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Messages
199
Reaction score
192
Golden Thread
0
Location
NorthEast, Florida coast
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 (4)Excal 1000, (2)Garrett Sea Hunter mark II,
(2) E-trac's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally something good. First the wife found her FIRST precious metal ring after months of bobby pins and bottlecaps it is Silver .925 5.7g :hello2::laughing7::hello2: and I found a Gold Cross stamped PB *56 , did an acid test and it held at 14k continious and at 18 for 1-2 seconds so I believe it to be 14k and 5.5g.The cross has writing on it what I think may be arabic not sure. Can anybody see it and translate please? On one side it has IG and XG with scroll work on the back it has makers marks and the enscription that looks like ( [.na[.H H [.O.yPa:l ).

This is my third GOOD gold piece to date. So our totals are 14.3g gold 14k and 15.1g .925 for this past summer. Hope the fall months are good as well. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • hhhhhhhhhhh 003.webp
    hhhhhhhhhhh 003.webp
    179.5 KB · Views: 190
  • hhhhhhhhhhh 001.webp
    hhhhhhhhhhh 001.webp
    153 KB · Views: 191
  • hhhhhhhhhhh 005.webp
    hhhhhhhhhhh 005.webp
    148.7 KB · Views: 226
  • hhhhhhhhhhh 002.webp
    hhhhhhhhhhh 002.webp
    199.8 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
Mr. Excavator, that is a beautiful cross find!

I believe it to be an Eastern Orthodox cross

Are you certain that the letters are IG and XG? Maybe look closer to see if instead the letters are" IC " and "XC".

IC and XC on an Eastern Orthodox cross translate to "Jesus Christ"'

Here is a link to help explain further.

Eastern Orthodox Cross

I could be wrong, but check those letters more closely.

Congratulations on that very beautiful find!

Lorraine
 
Hi Lorraine, you are awsome!!! thanks for the info. It is the coolest piece so far that I have found.
 
That's one beautiful cross! Congrats on a great find!
 
We had a NorEaster blowin last week and the beach seems to be givin stuff up for now.
 
Nice finds Mr & Mrs Excavator!
 
Nice finds. Check the cross with 14kk acid. I found one thathad diamonds but read p4 sr which is a mixture of gold, platinum, silver and paladium. The shank tested at 14kt but most of the ring did not.
 
That is one nice looking cross, congrats!

Cliff
 
It is indeed an Eastern Orthodox cross. Like Lorraine said, IC XC (letters are Greek) stand for Jesus Christ. The inscribing on the back contains words in Cyrillic alphabet, Save and Deliver.
 
Also, you might have found an antique. The "56" hallmark is of the so-called "zolotnik" type, used in Russia until 1927. So this might even be dating to pre-revolution Tsarist Russia. I would show it to a specialist. The karat weight is 56/4=14k. "PB" might (or might not, as he was dealing with silver, as far as I understand) stand for Rudolf Vyurst, whose stamp would date this piece to 1891-1894.
Ps: I love google :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks Front242, That is quite interesting. My wife works in a building that has an upperend jeweler in it. She told them about it and they asked her to bring it in for a look.

This may turn into the nicest find I have found to date. I will post their opinion about it tomorrow.
 
I'd love to learn what you'll find out. Will be looking for un update.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom