gold cube vs highbanker

mountainman22

Nov 5, 2012
Canon City
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone! I live in Colorado with a lot of fine gold. I was wondering whether I should get a highbanker with hopper or a gold cube and classify my dirt down real good? Reason I ask is I have money and I really want to either extract the most gold out of the dirt I'm using, or move a lot more dirt equalling more gold. I finally have a rented/pay to prospect claim where I'm getting pickers and flakes all day.

Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't run high velocity water thru a Gold Cube if you expect to keep the fines. 1000 to 1200 GPH is the max amount. You will be running 10 times that thru a high banker (unless you are like me and run an electric high banker with a 1000 GPH bilge pump).

I get a lot of fines (down to sub 100 mesh) in my Gold Cube.

In Colorado (where we have lots of fines that tend to float away if you run it thru a high banker with a high velocity water pump) if you want fines, and you are using a Gold Cube to catch them, you can't overwhelm it by running the water too fast. I have set up right next to a Gold Grabber running with a high speed water pump (at least 10 times the rate I used on the Gold Cube) and I got lots of fines - the Gold Grabber did not get any. We both got about the same amount of 30 mesh and above gold (Done at Derry Ranch last summer).

Last edited:

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the Topper on the Gold Cube, you can shovel directly into the gold cube (no classifying) and run 2000 gph pump or a bit more. I tested mine and it actually works better with the bigger pump than the stock 1100 gph pump. Without the Topper (Gold Banker), I'd stick with the smaller pump (as Jens advises) unless you are using something like a 12 foot hose.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes

Mine it and recycle it!

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The standard Gold Cube setup uses a 1100 gph 12v pump and a 3 foot hose. The "Gold Banker"/Topper attachment comes with a 5 foot hose and will work with the 1100 gph pump. With that setup a longer hose is really usefull and then a stronger pump such as a 2000 gph is recommened. I found even with a short hose the more powerful pump seemed to work better with the "Gold Banker" when I was processing raw dirt I brought back that really needed to be broken up a bit.

h20prospector

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2009
Security CO
I haven't been on this forum in a couple of years. I notice a couple of you are from the Springs. I'm just south in Security. PM me and let's plan an outing.

h20

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on this forum in a couple of years. I notice a couple of you are from the Springs. I'm just south in Security. PM me and let's plan an outing.

h20

That would be great. I have been getting out on weekends (I work weekdays) and doing prospecting when the weather cooperates but I am out in the mountains pretty much every weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread