Attachments

• DSCN0761.JPG
    DSCN0761.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 911
  • DSCN0762.JPG
    DSCN0762.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 928
Upvote 0
THAT WOULD BE GOLD FILLED BUT GOLD FILLED IS WORTH AROUND WAT SILVER IS SO IT IS NOT JUNK!!

USMS stands for United States Maritime Services
"The Secretary may establish and maintain a voluntary organization for the training of citizens of the United States to serve on Merchant Marine vessels of the United States to be known as the United States Maritime Service...and to prescribe the uniform of such service and the rules governing the wearing and furnishing of such uniform....The ranks, grades, and ratings for personnel of the United States Maritime Service shall be the same as... for the personnel of the United States Coast Guard." Merchant Marine Act of 1936
In 1938, when a second World War was imminent, President Franklin D. Roosevelt realized that winning the war would require many ships to carry war supplies to the fronts. He ordered mass-production of Liberty ships and established the U.S. Maritime Service (USMS) to train the men needed to operate these ships. Joseph P. Kennedy, (father of President John F. Kennedy) was appointed as the first Chairman of the new Federal Maritime Commission in 1937 during which he laid the groundwork for the U.S. Merchant Marine. Kennedy became the United States Ambassador to Great Britain in 1938. Retired Admiral Emory Scott Land, USN, succeeded Kennedy as Chairman, and who also headed the War Shipping Administration. Admiral Land is the genius who put together the ship production, training of the men in the USMS, and operation of the vast fleet

Here's the link if you would like to read more http://www.usmm.org/usms.html

Very nice, cogradulations.....

vayank54 said:
USMS stands for United States Maritime Services
"The Secretary may establish and maintain a voluntary organization for the training of citizens of the United States to serve on Merchant Marine vessels of the United States to be known as the United States Maritime Service...and to prescribe the uniform of such service and the rules governing the wearing and furnishing of such uniform....The ranks, grades, and ratings for personnel of the United States Maritime Service shall be the same as... for the personnel of the United States Coast Guard." Merchant Marine Act of 1936
In 1938, when a second World War was imminent, President Franklin D. Roosevelt realized that winning the war would require many ships to carry war supplies to the fronts. He ordered mass-production of Liberty ships and established the U.S. Maritime Service (USMS) to train the men needed to operate these ships. Joseph P. Kennedy, (father of President John F. Kennedy) was appointed as the first Chairman of the new Federal Maritime Commission in 1937 during which he laid the groundwork for the U.S. Merchant Marine. Kennedy became the United States Ambassador to Great Britain in 1938. Retired Admiral Emory Scott Land, USN, succeeded Kennedy as Chairman, and who also headed the War Shipping Administration. Admiral Land is the genius who put together the ship production, training of the men in the USMS, and operation of the vast fleet

Here's the link if you would like to read more http://www.usmm.org/usms.html

Thank you for the link, very informative! :-*

Kathy

You're welcome. I'll have to be honest and admit that I learned something as well though. I knew what the USMS stands for but had now idea about the history until I googled it.

Hi Kathy,

Very nice pin :hello2: I'd agree that it is gold plated with 10ct on sterling silver.

tuatara said:
Hi Kathy,

Very nice pin :hello2: I'd agree that it is gold plated with 10ct on sterling silver.

Thank you, it came up on 32 on my x-terra 70. so I kinda thought it could be sterling.

Very nice pin :icon_thumright:

sorry i confused you it is gold filled not gold plate over sterling.
that is a great pin!!
:headbang: :notworthy: :headbang:

Neat!! I like it!! ;D

:wink: RR

Usually gold filled jewellery is more expensive than gold plated. Try ebay or some other on-line auction on hint for price.

forerunner to what know as the US MERCHANT MARINE today --its WW2 era and just before WW2. officer

by wieght --its 1/20th 10 kt gold -(covered) the balance is sterling or 925 silver --(5% of its overall weight is its 10 kt gold outer layering / 95% of its overall weight (inside part ) is sterling silver )
retired 27 year merchant marine, whos family were merchant marines for several generations.

nice piece to display :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

I really like the pin ! and I got a history lesson and learned something ! The value of a gold filled over sterling U.S. M.S. pin you recovered from the ground with a metal detector, which you will remember for the rest of your life ! PRICELESS MaineRelic.

MaineRelic said:
I really like the pin ! and I got a history lesson and learned something ! The value of a gold filled over sterling U.S. M.S. pin you recovered from the ground with a metal detector, which you will remember for the rest of your life ! PRICELESS MaineRelic.

Yup, :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back