Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been around a while and I dont recall any posts of that nature. Plenty of fake diamonds though :tongue3: Gold in Amethyst would be unusual in the extreme but I would not put it past mother nature. Not sure what advice your looking for and as to testing a simple hardness test and appraisal would be sufficient are my thoughts.

Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been around a while and I dont recall any posts of that nature. Plenty of fake diamonds though :tongue3: Gold in Amethyst would be unusual in the extreme but I would not put it past mother nature. Not sure what advice your looking for and as to testing a simple hardness test and appraisal would be sufficient are my thoughts.

I found a mention of gold in clear quartz crystals in a geologic report from here in Washington.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a specimen I picked up in Australia while prospecting there with a small bit of gold in clear quartz and I've seen other examples of clear quartz with gold in it. The problem with Amethyst is that the mineralization of the area's where its located are not associated with gold deposits to my knowledge. So a combination of them seems unlikely to me. But like I said I would not put it past mother nature to do it. Gold in quartz.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread