Gold Getter Transportation

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is my mule. Been riding the big bores since I was 14 riding all over the desert of Southern California. Now enjoying the mountains and rivers of Northern Califo IMAG0578.jpg rnia.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What cc's we talking about? I've ridden a very small amount in the NorCal mtns. on 125 and 135 cc bikes. The 135 was a brand new Rokon and it was a kick, a more slow and easy machine with two wheel drive. They still make them, they've changed the engine and gearing and one version offers a bit of front suspension still with 2 wheel drive.

As long as any bike is ridden with respect for the ground, one's own body and the country one is in they are great ways to get around till the hills get really steep, narrow, with steep drop offs and the like and then its back to putting the boot to the ground for me. I'm in Fremont where are you located?..........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a Honda XR600. I am in Orangevale. Love the ride to Downieville. The Rokon sounds like a blast!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 600 engine makes for a good sized hunk of "Iron Horse" and a Honda at that! My GL500 Silverwing spoiled me as my first real street bike, I loved it. The Rokon is a Unique bike - goes over 3' vertical objects with relative ease though it is a teeter-tauter kinda crossing, they will float in water, and carry quite a load. They are all fun in their own way's.....................63bkpkr

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer bike AU the xr600r is one of the greatest dual sports of all time, definitely will thump and thrash s#$itless, reliable and bullet proof no doubt! Must have been grandfathered into the DMV to be ca plated, only the 650r came plated. I grew up riding trail and motocross, when I was about 15 I bought a broke down xl600 same as yours but older from the 80s. Got it for a hundred bucks fixed it up and raised all hell on it was a lot of bike for a kid of that age definitely helped make a man of me lol best hundered bucks i ever spent! I'm a huge fan and have had em all, 125 and 250 two strokes 250 and 450 four strokes motocross bikes, quads, had a cbr600 f4i stunt bike and pretty much everything else in between, just recently let my mx bike go, no one to ride with it was just collecting dust, figured I'm better off prospecting alone then going out riding track n trail alone but that's how it goes, ill pick up another one when the time is right, still have my crf50 it's all set up for big boys with a 125 pitbike motor, it gets it pretty good and makes for a good lil trail scouting bike ill never let the 50 go lol here's a pic of the mx bike I just let go a few months back, I definitely am missing it! Are you running a baffle? Loud pipes save life's! image.jpg

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 63bkpkr the original rokon was before my time but know a few things about em basically a tractor on two wheels slow as heck but could climb a wall if you needed it too, the wheels and tires could be filled with fuel for those long long rides too bad they can't make cool stuff like that anymore, I bet china probably bought the company out, if so one word, garbage!

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet ride Hangtown! I have a Supertrap exhaust with 15 discs. Gets 50 mpg and is a street legal beast!

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the young, dumb days! 0130100615a.jpg

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AU! The supertrap is legendary, adjustable sound just by adding or subtracting plates can also take the plates an cap off in about 3 minutes and raise some serous hell! My old xl had a supertrap too one time I took it off and ran it with just the head pipe, I can't describe the noise it was so extreme I wish I could have heard the thoughts going thru my neighbors heads haha but that was about 15 years ago now. Killer picture looks like some huge air! I'm gonna guess you were riding a 250 2 stroke or maybe a 500? Bbrraaaaappppp

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have an XR 500 years ago, loved that bike, you sat "in" it behind the bars not up on top over the bars like to days bikes. But for stealthy go anywhere mountain travel it's hard to beat a trail 90.

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love the XR500, my first big bore. Hangtown, the big air was my CR250 good guess!

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to have an XR 500 years ago, loved that bike, you sat "in" it behind the bars not up on top over the bars like to days bikes. But for stealthy go anywhere mountain travel it's hard to beat a trail 90.
Except with the trail 110 I still have (although I haven't used it in 10 years). And I am about 80 lbs heavier so it might not be able to drag me up the mountainside like it used to.

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
XR500 Mojave desert. Mine tailings IMAG1113.jpg

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steeper than I remember lol

Attachments

• IMAG1113.jpg
    IMAG1113.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome vintage picture AU! Looks like my kind of fun. I would guess pic is from 1986? I was just a toddler then but as a kid in the 90s I grew up riding se bikes from the 80s so happy I didn't have to miss out! I can relate to what fouledup is talking about, when I got my first modern bike I had to buy some tall renthal bars and shave the seat foam down to get that confidant old school feeling or forget it. I still do this mod to any newer bike I get. Definitely hard to beat any of the Honda ct trails best little bikes ever in my book, I grew up saying if it ain't red keep it in the shed!

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
During the summer I use my 05 cr 250 to get back and fourth to my dredge. A trip that takes me an hour in my truck takes me 10 min on my bike. My bike isn't quite made for rocky trails. Full race suspension, bored and polished carb, milled cylinder and head for proper port placement for a smooth powerband with increased compression, Ported and polished cases, transfer and exhaust ports. Runs on 100 octane light lead airplane fuel. I would love a trail 110 though.

Attachments

• image-2928100103.jpg
    image-2928100103.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1985 or 1986 spot on! Miss my mini trail 70

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hangtown, the Rokon is still made in the U.S., yes that is a surprise and they seem to be going strong.
Sometime in the late 60's or early 70's I was looking for a bike. I rode the Yamaha 175 and 250 and then went to the other end of town and test drove a 400 or 450 BSA Victor single and thought I was going to kill myself! What a torque-y Beast. I also thought I'd kill myself on the Honda GL-500, instead I put 75K miles on it and it was still going strong when I sold it after I purchased a new Kawasaki Concours in 2000. I've 90K on the Kawi and have just brought it back up to total road worthy condition and it feels good to be riding it! I even have my heated suit for winter riding.

Fun times but never, never did any air tricks save for maybe on my mountain bike, course that almost dislocated the collar bone......63bkpkr

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 63bkpkr thanks for clearing that up, great to hear they are still here in the U.S. ill have to check out the modern ones online. Would love to find an original one to restore and put to use but may be hard to come by. Wow those are some serous miles on your last two bikes one must have great skills to rack up miles like that! I would guess the Kwai after 90k would be due for a new top end along with other things, sweet you got it worthy again, nothing like the feeling of getting back on a bike after its been a while, it's an instant reminder of why we love to ride. Never hurt myself too bad catching air on mx bikes but one time I did dislocate my shoulder real bad on my Honda 50, so bad doc had to put me under to pop it back in, it hurt and I felt dumb lol but it happens. Well stay safe and warm out there on two wheels this winter, and happy Holliday's

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One time we saw huge tailings so we rode to the mine entrance. I was about 15'x15' and we continued for 6/10 of a mile. From there we hiked deep in the earth through a maze of huge hard rock digggins. First time I heard my uncle cus when he almost stepped into an open shaft. We had ropes and harnesses but that place is for fools to folly. We had helmets and body armor and radios but still crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread