Gold Hog matting

MikeMike

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russau, have your church pray for your back, lay hands on it and rebuke "the infirmity" from staying. My wife asked the pastor to do this, this morning at church. I was to the point of almost not being able to work and worse than that prospect ! It had steadily been getting worse over the last 7 to 8 weeks and i was wondering how I was going to just pay the necessary bills while i was out of wotk. After the church prayed for me, it still hurt a little but eased up by tonight to nothing and I have full range and strength, again.
Is all i can say is give Glory to God in all things and never stop praying. Ever.

dpnichols

Greenie
Dec 11, 2013
North canton oh.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh absolutely use the riverhog in the main and add razorback
and ur for your next levels it will blow your mind when your
capturing -100

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WITH 1/8"- YES BUT A DREDGE WITH 1/2" OR BIGGER ROCKS NOPE-NOT-NEVER. TO DISOWN MY OL'BUD RUSSAU IS INDEED A FOLLY-WHO IN THE NAME A GOD(SEE HOLLIER THAT THOU) would disown a friend for doing what I did-tried it a dozen time(2 kinds)and rejected as rocks of any size adios gold in both 2 1/2 and 4" dredges. You could paint him green,tar and feather but ol'miners always stick together. We're friends NOT lovers---hahahaha-sic-John

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about removing my riffles in the center also ???
Let me send some pictures of my curent set up ..I'm not real happy with it mainly because it's a pain to clean out ...
The recovery is ok ..... But I have huge problems with the center box loafing up with large rocks and can't run without a box tender ...
That may be normal for a 6" not sure as this is my first ....
Iv never had a problem with either of my 4's loading up but I run them pretty hard also but I do the same with the 6 so I kind of expected the same from it ....

dpnichols

Greenie
Dec 11, 2013
North canton oh.
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys you really need to watch the videos from goldhog they use NO expanded and NO
ruffles the riverhog already has them built in please im sure that everyone in this forum
has way more experience than I but I urge you to watch them please

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that video is indeed fun to watch especially when a dozen 3" rocks in a pan constitutes an example of BIG rocks through that abomination of a 5" dredge. NO rocks of any size sucked up and even ol'brokeback farts like me wiould dredge rocks almost twice that size and MUCH more quanity in a MINUTE,not all day. Testing in a flat no current situation with a miniscule flow doesn't constitute real dredging testing. Real dredges rockn' and a rolln' on a x-y-z axis and that's where the REAL problems arise-SIDE TO SIDE ACTION EMPTIES out the recoveries the same as a rock of any size. Can't restart without blowout either. To test in a concentrator is one thing(stationary highly controlled),a sluicebox (stationary also but with differences in flow/sizing)high-banker op MUCH different as stationary but highly aireated and the absolute toughtest testing in a MOVING stream sucking up all sands/gravels/rocks and not just 1/2" minus hahaha what a hoot. Side to side-front to back and up down motion like on a ball is the true test of a dredges recovery system and give me current as I do not dredge blind one armed style EVER. Consumers Reports is a perfect example of buyer beware as the sellers always have great results but buyers NOT SO MUCH. Looking forward to Russaus' results no matter what they are as I have no horse in this race. This is not like when I was in biz and ran in dozens of public head to head testing on my jets,sluiceboxes,drywashers,over/under recovery sytems and had magazines/editors/customers at public events that watched to prove HONESTY is always the best policy as nuttn' works everywhere-John.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep John im looking forward to the results myself! this spring will be when i try to get out depending on floods that time of year. but come summer, itll be in Wyoming or Colorado getting a workout! itll try to get my bud Leonard Leeper to do a video of it then! untill then im waiting/watching adhesive dry!:)

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Bravo John. I want to get the gold hog mats too but rubber is not a recent invention. If it worked amazingly all the time it would be in every sluice. Multi stage is the way to go

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to hear the results and some advise on what you found to be the best way to implement into a dredge, O/U etc.. I truly believe this industry needed products like this that are based on significant design and testing and it's great that Doc takes the time to create so many video's that instruct and provide so many people with understanding of the products and how best to use them and their limitations.

A dredge certainly presents the greatest challenge in recovery because it goes against everything we have learned in the last 100+ years which is classification. Until then we will simply have to figure out ways to best implement existing products for the best recovery. I'd like to implement GH mat's myself as one of these options.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yes Docs videos take most of the labor out of setting up/running your equipment according to your particular application. but you still have to fine tune your application to your needs and Doc is there to assist/advise which really helps.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Water flow, water flow, water flow... You want about 1 inch of water running over the top of the tallest riffle. What kind of angle can you put the sluice box at on your dredge? I used a table saw with a special fence to cut the mats with outstanding results, but my sluice measured side to side the same the entire length. What's your arrangements with the mats?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the company located?

Wow! No phone number or address on their website :dontknow:
Wasn't listed on the "whois" website registration info either.

Not a good Idea to purchase from any website that doesn't provide that info.
But in Doc's case I'd make an exception :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some very fine gold recovered on my last cleanout that I just cleaned today. Gold Hog Mats #1...

T199.jpg T198.jpg

Last edited:

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just order the Gold Hog UR "under riffle" mat. For a 2" backpack dredge and see how that goes. Will update when I get it in the water.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hahaha! this is in my 2 inch dredge im putting together, mostly out of things i have in my garage that i need to get out!. it wont be ready untill sometime in spring. my O/U 4 inch dredge still has the Veranda carpet in it,that John got me! currently the 2 inch sluice has a ABS crashbox sluice. im thinking of makeing a flaired sluice for it to help settel the cons faster than the crashbox design.it is going to use the suction nozzel because the 2 incher dont suck very deep.and while makeing the flaired sluice for it, it may as well be a O/U sluice for better fines retention!i try to always have various mats/riffels/setups for different strerams that i go to. if i were dredgeing only 1 or 2 streams, i probly wouldnt need all the variations. BUT it keeps a ole dog doing something during the winter!:) if this winter thing lasts much longer, ill probly have every combination for this dredge,I.E. jet,flaired sluice,crashbox,etc.

Russ,

I think once you have the Gold Hog mats up and running you will see the simplicity of the mats, the ease of the cleanouts that you will end up using the mats in all your gear. I found cutting them with a good sharp razorblade even after watching the videos and getting a true straight cut without the hook cut was more difficult. That's when I measured my sluice box from top to bottom and determined that these measurements were exact. I cut everything on my table saw using a horizontal fence to the blade. The mats cut like butter with no smoke or smell but I was using a 120 tooth blade that had just come back from being sharpened.

SLU3.jpg SLU6.jpg SLU8.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omni ill probly be there BUT by then i may be a bystander if my back isnt working good! dpnichols im going by what Mike from Gold Hog advised me todo on this 2 inch. but ill keep your suggestion on hand .ill probly temp the matts with the Gorilla tape they suggest to try it out in different variations before i settel on any variation. ill run it in my back yard in tubs and then ill probly go up to Indiana to give it a test run in early Spring/Summer

Let me know if you come to Indiana and I'll meet up with you and help out. Have a couple items I want to field test this spring myself.
I'll bring my video camera and document your results if you like.

GG~

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
omni ill probly be there BUT by then i may be a bystander if my back isnt working good! dpnichols im going by what Mike from Gold Hog advised me todo on this 2 inch. but ill keep your suggestion on hand .ill probly temp the matts with the Gorilla tape they suggest to try it out in different variations before i settel on any variation. ill run it in my back yard in tubs and then ill probly go up to Indiana to give it a test run in early Spring/Summer

Russ,

Make sure you tape the bottom and top or the mats with GT or the mats will pull apart when you roll them up and reverse roll for cleanout. Did you build the your damper? I think I have two pieces of the nylon 12 inch in length cut and rounded I can send to you to attach the damper. I cut a groove the length of the nylon and used 3 stainless steel screws to hold the rubber damper in place. The damper works great to smooth the water out at the water header.

Damper.jpg Damper1.jpg

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think I'm gona make the jump...
Sure hope it's worth it because I have a lot of box to fill up its gona be a expensive package..

Iv always glued the rubber matts down to a piece of aluminum sheet is that a good way to do the gold hog matt as well?
Iv always done that because it makes it easy to lock in place ? What's your thoughts

I don't think adding the required angle will be any problem with this machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread