Gold in New England???

TheRiverdog

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2005
Massachusetts
This may be a silly question, but is it at all possible for there to be 'gold in them thar hills' here in New England?

I know that people went west during the gold rush, but I want to try prospecting and I live in New Hampshire. I really want to get into metal detecting, and finding old coins seems like the best place for me to start...but dag'nabit I want to swing a pick axe and find gold that thousands or even millions of people have walked right past for the past 350+ years.

Could there be gold to be found near me, and if so, where should I look???

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gold in New Hampshire not a silly question.

Yes, there is gold. Contact the Dept. of Earth Science, Univ of N.H. in Dunham. The zip code was 03824-3589 and the phone number was (603) 271-2975

Unfortunately there may be lots of restrictions. But It would be neat to pan a small sample of NH gold. There are seveal steams where minor panning is allowed. Small flakes of gold have been found along the whild Ammonoosuc river about 110 north of Keene. Also, there are other streams in NH where gold has been panned.

Go to <www.icmj.com> Most likely Edgar Heylmun, one of the contribututing writers has written at least one article on New England gold. Ask and you may be able to buy a back issue.

Best wishes; enjoy before the weather gets too cold.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
there is a book called yankee gold that tells about gold deposits in new england. if interested in buying a copy send me a private message and i will dig out the name and address of a man who probably has it in stock. may have his email too. exanimo, ss

Tom VT

Jul 12, 2008
Southern Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Uconn geology students found a gold deposit a couple of years ago that is commercially viable. didn't say where though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread