Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0663.JPG

Here's some Ohio Gold I found a few weeks ago. Just over 3 grams. (0.10 oz. Troy).

Gold in Ohio can be found any where there is glacial sand and gravel, the key is to find places where it has been concentrated.

Richland county had a small placer gold mining flurry in the 1800s, there were seams of black sand stratified in the naturally laid down gravel,deposited by glaciers, and they had a decent amount of gold in them.

I was witness to one seam when I was building a bridge near Lexington. We excavated for the abutment footing, and under the existing road bed in the natural gravel, was a 2 to 3 inch seam of black sand. I took a 5 gal. sample, but didn't have time to check it until we had the hole filled back in. Of course it showed a good amount of fine gold.

I believe the only place to find gold in quantity is in the washing and crushing machinery of gravel mining operations. That is where I found the gold in the pic.

Hard to get permission, and potentially dangerous, but wash plants can process thousands of tons of sand and gravel per day...the heavies concentrate in certain spots just like in a river.

The fun is in finding the hiding spot.8-)

hodginsa

Jul 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no longer in Ohio, back in Southern Ontario, where everyone says there is no gold. I'm hopeful though I'm going to check out a few areas once I get my new sluice built.

Thats a decent amount of gold! wow.
Kind of a cool way to find it, trapped in the machinery? There are real pickers there, I didn't know you could find them in Ohio.

redtailvision

Nov 3, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold Maven is correct. Small amounts of gold can be found any where there is glacial sand and gravel, even in NW Ohio. My main interest is in the many different types of rocks and small fossils left by the glaciers.

iTzAces

Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello im new at this im looking to find a good place to take my dad and daughter out to find gold im located in circleville inbetween columbus and chillicothe ohio and we are new at this any tips would be helpful thank you and good luck everyone

AfterShock95

Mar 31, 2013
Elba Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out yesterday and gold panning I have been thinking about it for several years I found lots of black sand and also blonde sand but the pain I was using wasn't a gold pan good idea useing the drainage tile for a sulth box I will have to try it

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
I will be in McArthur Oh in August are there any good creeks in that area? Also what about the wildlife anything I should be worried about ie; snakes, bugs, fish? I am from western Washington state with very little wildlife issues juat the occasional mountain lion or black bear. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing really to worry about in Ohio, no poisonous snakes or bugs you'd have to worry about. Use a can of OFF for Mosquitos as some carry West Nile virus. As far as fish go there's bluegill, perch, carp, catfish, bass, etc.
As far as the area your talking about for prospecting it's possible. The ancient Teays river dammed up and formed lake Tight which was a MASSIVE glacial lake right about mcarthur/Chillicothe area. I have not checked that area but look for glacial materials. Look for hilly areas near flat farm land. The problem with this area is that the till may be very deep so bedrock is unlikely. I still suggest looking!
Check out Ohio glacier maps, search " Teays river or lake tight" as well. Your best prospecting companion is research :)

Last edited:

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Nothing really to worry about in Ohio, no poisonous snakes or bugs you'd have to worry about. Use a can of OFF for Mosquitos as some carry West Nile virus. As far as fish go there's bluegill, perch, carp, catfish, bass, etc.
As far as the area your talking about for prospecting it's possible. The ancient Teays river dammed up and formed lake Tight which was a MASSIVE glacial lake right about mcarthur/Chillicothe area. I have not checked that area but look for glacial materials. Look for hilly areas near flat farm land. The problem with this area is that the till may be very deep so bedrock is unlikely. I still suggest looking!
Check out Ohio glacier maps, search " Teays river or lake tight" as well. Your best prospecting companion is research :)

Thank you very much I have been looking at the glacial maps for that area I cant wait to check it out in august.

Joshf

May 22, 2013
Hey guys I'm new to prospecting. I was bitten by the gold bug lol. When I bought my pans I was told to go to mad river in springfield. From what I was told there is plenty of gold out there. Enough for a guy to pay for hits kid to go through collage at weight state. It took him ten years but he got enough to do it.

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably someone pulling your leg. There may be gold there but I can't imagine thousands of dollars worth. But hey anything is possible and you only know if you try. Good luck

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tried a few places in Ashtabula Co. and only got a sun burn - definitely a waste of time in that county.

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont blow off an entire county cause of 1 or 2 creeks!
make sure your looking for rounded/creek rock.
no day is a waste in the great outdoors!
dont get discouraged and good luck!

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just an fyi...

I have been working on 161 around New Albany/Newark and a fellow that works there has been doing a little panning on his lunch break and has found a nice little vial.

Keep in mind some areas are under construction, please do not enter the areas or you can be fined for trespassing'.

Adam

I love this last line considering that dude was problay trespassing to pan lol.
No not a bash

AimSmMissSm

Jan 9, 2013
Not in Dayton but close. Find you Ohio chapter of the GPAA they get a lot of gold and have claims on private property. You are in a good area. Look on youtube also a lot of guys from Ohio have their own youtube pages.

Jyantis86

May 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could u text me with details how I can join the group and places I can pan? 6149725080

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions