🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out in the field for a couple hours yesterday. I try to dig everything here because theres old shallow stuff, old deep stuff, shallow can slaw, deep can slaw. I usually at least find something good every trip. I had dug a couple bits of can slaw. 12-30 VDI?s on the MXT. Every one, im hoping for a gold coin. It was probably my fourth hole which was ringing up at 18-20 at 3?. Flipped the plug and out popped a big gold ring. Once i cleaned it out i found out it had inscriptions on the inside that said ?Aug 10, 1872. With Maggie?s Love.? The day i dug it was August 14th! 149 years and 4 days of marriage. Theres a big ding on the top but 7.2 grams of 18k isnt a bad day! Happy Hunting and a belated Happy 149th Anniversary to Maggie and her husband!

E1B854D9-495E-48BC-960B-64B8CAE80BBA.jpeg
9BCCA6EE-50F2-4625-B21F-645CAA743824.jpeg

Upvote 59

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so much more than just a nice piece of gold, thanks to the inscription. That cost a very significant amount of money in 1872. The husband must have been absolutely devastated when he lost it and I bet it bothered him until he died. It sure would me.
Looks like it was lost fairly early in the marriage because people used their hands a lot back then. I have my great-grandmother's ring (she was married in 1890 and a farm wife) and it is worn in two on the palm side.
Really a nice recovery there! Just a hundred and some years late.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wawa-weewa! Gold and 19th century history in one! :notworthy:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet find!

That's the way to do it.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and congratulations on your beautiful recovery..it will be a moment in time that you will always remember

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome would be to do some research and return it to one of Maggie's heirs.
Don........

Im on it Don, theres an old map from 1873 so im hoping that could help. Havent gotten around to it due to hectic work but im planning on it!

OP
OP
BeenFishin

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so much more than just a nice piece of gold, thanks to the inscription. That cost a very significant amount of money in 1872. The husband must have been absolutely devastated when he lost it and I bet it bothered him until he died. It sure would me.
Looks like it was lost fairly early in the marriage because people used their hands a lot back then. I have my great-grandmother's ring (she was married in 1890 and a farm wife) and it is worn in two on the palm side.
Really a nice recovery there! Just a hundred and some years late.

Oh i know about that too! My sister just got engaged with MY grandmas ring. She was also a farm wife. Things of value were and still are very important to the farming community.

Its nice to think that the husband was disappointed when he lost it. Its another idea to think he may have had it with maggie and tossed the ring into the field while riding his horse past this random field. Both theories have their merrits although yours is hopefully more accurate. Haha

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old gold with a date, love it. :icon_thumleft:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations, that is one really awesome save. Hold on to it and find ancestors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions