Gold In Those Hills - Oro Valley, Arizona

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those who live in the Tucson area you may recognize these mountains. Tucson is surrounded by four mountain ranges. The Catalina’s Mountains to the north, The Rincon Mountains to the east, The Santa Rita Mountains to the south, and the Tucson Mountains to the west. The western end of the Catalina’s is call Pusch Ridge of which is the photo below. As you can see the Catalina’s has hundreds canyons where water runs of into the lower basin of which is Oro Valley on the northwest side of the Catalina’s. The word Oro in Spanish means “Gold”. My first gold while digging was located in this lower basin where water runs off these mountains. The center and far right photo I would love to dig this area but I can’t as it sits among million dollar homes, not to mention one would get himself in a world of hurt undermining the land above. I have dug quietly behind the boulders and the slow sides of the bottoms and have found nice gold in the drainages. If you look closely at the center photo you can see the clay tiles of a house among the Palo Verde trees

The second image is a Google Earth view of a section of the Catalina’s with Tucson at the top and Oro Valley at the bottom left. Yes that’s snow to the far right near the middle. That’s Ski Valley located about 8500ft. and yes Tucson has skiing available. You may want to click on the photos a number of times to enlarge the photo to full size.

Pusch Ridge.jpg Google Earth.jpg

The Iron Door Mine treasure is believed to still be hidden north of Tucson

By Robert Zucker and Flint Carter

The story of a lost mine with an iron door near Tucson, Arizona has persisted for hundreds of years.

The legendary Iron Door Mine treasures may still be deep within the Santa Catalina mountains, north of Tucson, Arizona, according to Arizona prospector William T. "Flint" Carter and other historians. The Mine with the Iron Door has been one of the most extensively hunted lost mines in North America. Movies and books have glorified the legend. It's real riches have yet to be revealed.

That legend, though, may have some truth buried with those treasures.

The lost mine may still be somewhere in the Catalina Mountains, near the Cañada del Oro, "the Canyon of Gold." Some people over the centuries have claimed to discover its location.

But, the exact spot of this treasure has never been documented.

Lost in the Santa Catalina's

The Santa Catarinas, now called Santa Catalina Mountains north of Tucson, is part of the Coronado National Park. Within the mountain range is Pusch Ridge, the Samaniego Ridge, Oracle Ridge and Mt. Lemmon.

The Cañada del Oro flows north out of the Catalina Mountains, near Oracle. It turns south through Saddlebrooke and empties into the Santa Cruz near Ina Road and Interstate 10.

The Spanish name Cañada del Oro means canyon of gold in English. The Canyon of Gold was well known for its placer gold mining and sparked the American gold rush to the area in the 1800s.

The river is now a dry creek bed except for a few times a year. At one time, it ran steadily out of the Catalinas. Parts of the riverbed are still favorite spots for amateur prospecting for gold flakes and grains. Several mining claims are still in effect in the mountains.

The Eyes.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for sharing info ,man ,havent made to az,but i have been researching areas there and i will be there within next two months, gotta finish getting equipment together,i am not at all outfitted for az mining,i stiil got to get water tanks,theres a factory not far from me that i can get there empty tanks ,they are square ,white ,reinforced with steel tube outer frame,250 gallon. also have to research where i can fill them daily, is it possible to pump out of public streams there? or is that resricted?i was thinking of a screening setup to classify down,i've never used dry washers or even been around them, so i was going to try to stick with what i know .so i was figureing on spending considerable time dry classifying,down as much as possible,days even between washing runs, is this the way to go?any imput would be great from you local guys,ive many of your posts and can think of nobetter to ask. going to (broaden) my horizons this year.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzViper;3744878I would love to dig this area but I can’t as it sits among million dollar homes said:
913722[/ATTACH]

I was going to say, haven't you already?

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was going to say, haven't you already?

Yeah I have but I would really like to get my drywasher in the area or the trommel. Tried walking up the wash today and that damn dog again spotted me. Where I took that photo the patio of a home is within eyesight of me. Need to take my lab with me and just try to look like I belong in the area.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread