gold locations

somawheels

Sep 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, ive never done gold finding before and was wandering how common gold really is.
If I sluice and pan in any old good looking stream in any part of the world but at the right places with bedrock sticking up and know where is most likely to have caught gold, will i find some eventually? or would i be panning for weeks before i found anything (or never!).

I'm talking about using any good looking river/stream in any location; is gold only in clusters or is it very thinly spread all over the earth with clusters as well.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your question is a very broad one , but I'll take a stab at it - Your best chance to find gold is to research the areas accessible to you ,
where gold has historically been found . The methods for extraction available to most mere mortals will involve various waterways ,
where gold has been eroded out of the hard rock veins and carried along the rivers and streams, eventually settling in recoverable
quantities (small flakes and granules primarily -nuggets occasionally ) in fissures in bedrock and dense layers of clay , and under
and around large boulders. Methods of retrieving this "placer gold" may include (but are not restricted to) gold panning to
determine the "prospects of the gravels in question - then if the gold concentrates are promising - one may elect to bring in a
sluice box allowing a larger quantity of material to be processed in the location . There is a sub forum on this site all about gold
prospecting . I highly recommend that you go there and look at some of the expertise offered . Cheers !

( the old saying "gold is where you find it" is true , however , because of it's specific gravity (19.1) it will behave consistently and
therefore predictably in the environmental conditions to which it is subject - this is key to understanding gold prospecting !)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread