Gold mine of bottles

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit woods of 1694 farm where a house used to be and found bottles everywhere. On ground under leaves every dig detecting hit glass. Found some nice ones.
Got tired of woods and bottles so went to farm near driveway and found Solid Gold ring.
290A93E6-D17A-4AF1-9770-CBC3C1D74D8E.jpeg

Attachments

• 13B3C67A-CB44-4B67-819C-03D809798A4D.jpeg
    13B3C67A-CB44-4B67-819C-03D809798A4D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • 6D89094A-944F-44F4-BB0A-CBA3727383D9.jpeg
    6D89094A-944F-44F4-BB0A-CBA3727383D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 454540BD-80B1-4759-9343-8047C996F2C4.jpeg
    454540BD-80B1-4759-9343-8047C996F2C4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • 5A24B667-AB27-4275-929C-FCA756C0B179.jpeg
    5A24B667-AB27-4275-929C-FCA756C0B179.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • BDB16C9E-31F5-4632-AB1D-2E3670BB2B7F.jpeg
    BDB16C9E-31F5-4632-AB1D-2E3670BB2B7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • A97A6B06-A05E-43D4-A836-90A00801F5AE.jpeg
    A97A6B06-A05E-43D4-A836-90A00801F5AE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • 2E4EF925-9BD7-47F5-9D56-A85AACFC4BEE.jpeg
    2E4EF925-9BD7-47F5-9D56-A85AACFC4BEE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 23E71B25-AFC7-47A3-8C1D-564F1B24B5E5.jpeg
    23E71B25-AFC7-47A3-8C1D-564F1B24B5E5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the gold ring.
Lots of glass, pre/post 1900.
The shoulder seams will help on dating them.
Any seam that runs over the lip will be machine made, as the screw toppers.
This informative site link will really help with determining the age of the older ones.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Massive bottles finds! Congratulations on the gold ring! Thanks for posting.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit woods of 1694 farm where a house used to be and found bottles everywhere. On ground under leaves every dig detecting hit glass. Found some nice ones.
Got tired of woods and bottles so went to farm near driveway and found Solid Gold ring. View attachment 2073488

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are scratching the surface of a bottle dump with lots of potential. If these are what you're finding on the surface it may be the place the land owners dumped their trash for hundreds of years. You need to get a long piece of metal and start probing the ground in that area until you hit some deep glass, this glass will potentially be very old and valuable. You are pushing the 19th century just on the top, so below may go all the way back to the early 19th or even older given your date of the lands habitation stretching as far back to the 17th century. Excellent find on the gold! This site clearly has much more to offer!!

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are scratching the surface of a bottle dump with lots of potential. If these are what you're finding on the surface it may be the place the land owners dumped their trash for hundreds of years. You need to get a long piece of metal and start probing the ground in that area until you hit some deep glass, this glass will potentially be very old and valuable. You are pushing the 19th century just on the top, so below may go all the way back to the early 19th or even older given your date of the lands habitation stretching as far back to the 17th century. Excellent find on the gold! This site clearly has much more to offer!!
I think your right! There was an area sunk down that I wondered if it was a cellar hole. I dug in there and got broken plate abnd glass. How do you id a cellar hole?
Thanks Chuck

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right! There was an area sunk down that I wondered if it was a cellar hole. I dug in there and got broken plate abnd glass. How do you id a cellar hole?
Thanks Chuck
I suppose you would just have to start digging and see what's down there. Cellar holes are not my specialty, though I'm certain plenty of users on here are experts on the subject and can point you in the right direction.

When I dig I often simply make test holes, digging as deep as possible with absolutely no thought to anything. Then sometimes there is something at the bottom and other times there's nothing. Trusting your gut usually pays off though.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probe the sunken area. You may find older glass! On the other hand, if it's a farm house, the bottle dump may have been plowed and 'smeared' across a broad area, but with no depth of consequence. Regardless, best of luck to you!!!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most old house from the 1700 's up to the invention and use of electricity would dig a hole before any building of a foundation was started Once the hole was completed the walls where built around the outer perimeter of the hole. And than the floor was built on top of the stone foundation . The cellar had a dirt floor. And more often than not it had a low ceiling .Because it was cooler in the cellar the area was used to store vegetables and other items that lasted longer if kept cool Many early settlers call this their root cellar .And some would just dig out hole in a hillside .Build the walls to ground level and cover it over with ground It would be somewhat similar to a bomb shelter And in most cases new settler just getting started in their new locations would build a small place to get a living quarters established Once they had a house to live in they would often build a larger home that was more suited to the needs of the family living there . Due to fact that materials all had to be hand made or gathered from the surrounding area they would reuse as much as possible any material that was no longer needed from earlier buildings So if all usable items that where needed to start the first house became a part of the next building what was left was the hole that was the cellar . And now that hole became the dump site for the homestead .Depending on the dynamics of the family it might become the place that was used for many families and a long time And if you know you are on a site that at sometime had been a homestead. and can locate places that have a depression in the ground that is noticeable lower than the surrounding terrain it could be a place to try probing near this low spot or just raking on the surface to look for glass A low spot could be due to several generations used the location as a dump site And the freezing and thawing ,plus the break down of any decaying material caused the spot to sink lower So if you are trying to locate new digging spots where you think some one had a homestead in the past take a step back and look for signs that someone in the past had altered the area Take a look at the oldest topo maps you can find They show old roads that may now be barely visible now Also if you find trees or brushy growth that looks out of place with the other growth nearby .It often means that people lived there and put those items in near their homes

OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most old house from the 1700 's up to the invention and use of electricity would dig a hole before any building of a foundation was started Once the hole was completed the walls where built around the outer perimeter of the hole. And than the floor was built on top of the stone foundation . The cellar had a dirt floor. And more often than not it had a low ceiling .Because it was cooler in the cellar the area was used to store vegetables and other items that lasted longer if kept cool Many early settlers call this their root cellar .And some would just dig out hole in a hillside .Build the walls to ground level and cover it over with ground It would be somewhat similar to a bomb shelter And in most cases new settler just getting started in their new locations would build a small place to get a living quarters established Once they had a house to live in they would often build a larger home that was more suited to the needs of the family living there . Due to fact that materials all had to be hand made or gathered from the surrounding area they would reuse as much as possible any material that was no longer needed from earlier buildings So if all usable items that where needed to start the first house became a part of the next building what was left was the hole that was the cellar . And now that hole became the dump site for the homestead .Depending on the dynamics of the family it might become the place that was used for many families and a long time And if you know you are on a site that at sometime had been a homestead. and can locate places that have a depression in the ground that is noticeable lower than the surrounding terrain it could be a place to try probing near this low spot or just raking on the surface to look for glass A low spot could be due to several generations used the location as a dump site And the freezing and thawing ,plus the break down of any decaying material caused the spot to sink lower So if you are trying to locate new digging spots where you think some one had a homestead in the past take a step back and look for signs that someone in the past had altered the area Take a look at the oldest topo maps you can find They show old roads that may now be barely visible now Also if you find trees or brushy growth that looks out of place with the other growth nearby .It often means that people lived there and put those items in near their homes
G,
Great description and in depth historical information. An 1858 map shows a house across from existing driveway which is now just woods. The farmer who lives across road says he remembers a driveway further up from his driveway. So I starting investigating the woods and there are lots of surface bottles and couple insulators. I detected and got lots of canning jar lids and bottles. Starting digging out one spot and lots of glass. Then saw depression and hit plate drag and more glass. So far haven’t nailed down house site.
Thanks

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G,
Great description and in depth historical information. An 1858 map shows a house across from existing driveway which is now just woods. The farmer who lives across road says he remembers a driveway further up from his driveway. So I starting investigating the woods and there are lots of surface bottles and couple insulators. I detected and got lots of canning jar lids and bottles. Starting digging out one spot and lots of glass. Then saw depression and hit plate drag and more glass. So far haven’t nailed down house site.
Thanks
So you are on the right track anyhow .If you are finding broken glass or more modern bottles from the1920's 30's etc it is possible by digging a couple fet deeper you will encounter older items deeper .When you locate broken items try to guesstimate it's age If it is old you can almost be completely certain there is more in the same area and if you dig deeper you will find whole items I am no expert as to how it happens but I have located some of my oldest bottles under 3 to 4 feet of solid packed dirt And there was only a limited amount of broken glass in the spot I was digging . However the glass I was seeing was older than other stuff I had found in the limited area And my thought was as long as I was turning up things that where old I would just keep digging As you continue working the area you should begin to get a feel for how to proceed . Good Luck and keep at it You just might be digging that spot for years to come .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread