Upvote 23

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is my project for today I've been walking buy this outcrop / pile of quartz forever. I hope a speck or two will show out of one of the smaller rocks I crushed and milled now wet sluicing real slow on the micro mat. when I broke it open it looked like veins of red chili powder a good sign.
Interesting that your larger rock is angular with little rounding like the rock has not traveled very far. Maybe something to consider when looking for the next one as a winter project.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that your larger rock is angular with little rounding like the rock has not traveled very far. Maybe something to consider when looking for the next one as a winter project.
That seam runs for a longways maybe miles? Some of this bull quartz is rounded where exposed a lot of different forces at work overtime. I just finished crushing a five-gal bucket full, and chain milled I'm starting to wash but it's coffee time.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
You got it all Arrowheads’s and Gold. So how much total weight of gold have you found so far Dennis?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That seam runs for a longways maybe miles? Some of this bull quartz is rounded where exposed a lot of different forces at work overtime. I just finished crushing a five-gal bucket full, and chain milled I'm starting to wash but it's coffee time.
Perhaps the length of the miles long seam is not all the same. For example a lot of bull quartz over most of the seam however in some spots not bull quartz. What happened or what nature did along the way is the difference. The different forces should be showing up within the different rocks / flows.

The angular rock could be from one of the different forces with that particular rock / flow.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First photo is how my ore looks after the jaw crusher next the chain mill at work it makes the ore like flour. The yellow bucket ended up about 3/4 full and I washed half of that yesterday across the ribbed sluice. I blue bowled the cons I have a little color maybe the other half a bucket will be better. I finished the bucket a little fly poop and a small micro line. Poor picture too tomorrow is another day God willing.

Attachments

• 20231127_101600.jpg
    20231127_101600.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231127_101702.jpg
    20231127_101702.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231128_142748.jpg
    20231128_142748.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying the same outcrop but a hundred feet north east. I single jacked 3/4 of a bucket a trip through the jaw crusher and the chain mill started washing the slurry 2 hours flat not bad for an old guy. Now if there's a little gold that will make my day. It will take a good part of the day to run this load across the ribbed sluice real slow for the micro gold.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying the same outcrop but a hundred feet north east. I single jacked 3/4 of a bucket a trip through the jaw crusher and the chain mill started washing the slurry 2 hours flat not bad for an old guy. Now if there's a little gold that will make my day. It will take a good part of the day to run this load across the ribbed sluice real slow for the micro gold.
My dad crushed some quartz from around his house, which by all accounts should be void of gold and he said he got a few colors. I suspected he had contamination, but he insisted they had color. Wouldn’t have known that was even a possibility given the geological formations and the lack of any diggings if he hadn’t crushed and panned it. He’s been gold mining for his entire life and not tested a single rock there.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A suggestion..look 200’-250’ either side of your deposit for a parallel vein. It’s fairly common.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little slow on the prospecting its brush burning and cutting time. But we uncovered a few old digs and our quad trail is improving at least for me. A good start on next years firewood and removing some of the ladder fuels my sons doing the cutting and I'm burning. We've opened up some big stands of brush a park in the making. It will look like this spot that fire brushed a long time ago turning green after the recent rains.

Attachments

• 20231120_132839.jpg
    20231120_132839.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good reason to clear brush from our dig date stamp is wrong just a couple of days ago. Thats one of our goats that the mountain lions killed the night before we baited the game camera. Night metal detecting could be dangerous.

Attachments

• Biglion2.JPG
    Biglion2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the talk about shaker tables lately and rainy weather I started rummaging through my junk. So far, I built frame out of 1" 1/2 square tubing from an old barn door 3' x 2' x 4' feet and have door track for roller guides for the table. 3/4" inch Plywood for a test table 2' x 4' will build one out of high-density plastic after I figure out the eccentric drive mechanisms and types of grooves that work the best for my use. So far I spent fifty bucks for plywood for design use easy to work with to work the bugs out. I have some por 15 type paint to coat the table and some old electric motors to play with Happy Mining.

Attachments

• 20240122_143636.jpg
    20240122_143636.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240122_152521.jpg
    20240122_152521.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240120_111814.jpg
    20240120_111814.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240121_104315.jpg
    20240121_104315.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240121_120705.jpg
    20240121_120705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With all the talk about shaker tables lately and rainy weather I started rummaging through my junk. So far, I built frame out of 1" 1/2 square tubing from an old barn door 3' x 2' x 4' feet and have door track for roller guides for the table. 3/4" inch Plywood for a test table 2' x 4' will build one out of high-density plastic after I figure out the eccentric drive mechanisms and types of grooves that work the best for my use. So far I spent fifty bucks for plywood for design use easy to work with to work the bugs out. I have some por 15 type paint to coat the table and some old electric motors to play with Happy Mining.
Looking good. I'll have to build mine out of 4x4's and 2x4's.

Will be interested to see your drive mechanism.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a couple of v belt drive wheels with an offset drive attached arm or arms. To a pivot point under the table think of an old steam locomotive. I have several old electric motors just have to slow them down big pulley will help. I'll let somebody else do the math on the rpms to slow down so I can convert to a back-and-forth motion and still have a lot of torque. I painted the table today looks like liquid rubber I will thin down a second coat in the morning flex seal ? an old can label has seen better days.

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a video of what I mentioned above. It's super simple form those with woodworking skills, and an ability to shape and put together metal. Note the table driver. All it is, is an arm attached to the table, and the arm attached to an offset hole on a metal disk which is mounted on the electric motor drive shaft.

Also note that the table, and support base is nearly all wood.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a couple of v belt drive wheels with an offset drive attached arm or arms. To a pivot point under the table think of an old steam locomotive. I have several old electric motors just have to slow them down big pulley will help. I'll let somebody else do the math on the rpms to slow down so I can convert to a back-and-forth motion and still have a lot of torque. I painted the table today looks like liquid rubber I will thin down a second coat in the morning flex seal ? an old can label has seen better days.
I'm not sure if this calculator helps you selecting the right sized pulley for the RPM of the motor.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the constant shaking, I can't see how wood would work at all... You are throwing a lot of weight around & around.
I understand your thinking, but I have an old becks Dry washer gasoline powered that's wood. With steel axles bearings and wheels that has worked great with a lot of shaking and vibrations. Looks like the slides / rollers will absorb a lot of the vibration that will transfer to the frame. But I have a welder and steel lol

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you said 2' x 4's, etc, I was like... No...
There's a lot more then just wood under that table in the video. That's a solid platform bolted to the floor. The decks on mine are plywood with fiberglass tops but everything else is either iron or steel and it operates basically the same as in the video other then mine has drop chutes for the gold as well, so it doesn't pile up along the edge of the table, where it can be mixed with the other heavy minerals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread