Gold Ore

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sample that was found with a metal detector. Crushed by hand then panned to wash away some of the dirt and clay? The photo is macro so real small particles, but the quartz shows and what looks like iron and free gold. I think we need a small smelter to retrieve the values trying to speed up the recovery what's your thoughts ?

Attachments

• P4210546.JPG
    P4210546.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 645
Upvote 23

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Playing with the gold concentrates that I washed and dried. Today I reground the concentrates in the mortar then back into the test pan. I covered the ground gold and ore with household hydrogen peroxide stabilized 3 percent. Definite slow reaction bubbly red muddy solution after an hour it appears half the volume of solids are liquefied or off gassed? Anyone like to count the particles per square inch of the micro gold? I going to leave it awhile longer then add soap and water and pour it off.
Something in your ore acted as a catalysis to decompose the hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water.

Other than that, nothing notable took place.

Everytime you handle the concentrates you loose some, instead of only going after the visible gold why not smelt the lot.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something in your ore acted as a catalysis to decompose the hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water.

Other than that, nothing notable took place.

Everytime you handle the concentrates you loose some, instead of only going after the visible gold why not smelt the lot.

Your wrong again in a few hours' time the volume of solids is half. Something notable did happen and a lot more micro gold recovered . Now your changing your mind on how I should go about this. Now you know what gold looks like in black sands.

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be pawing through a pile of pay ore the was never processed. You don’t have to answer, but I’m curious about the volume in this pile. 10 yards, 50, 100?

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be pawing through a pile of pay ore the was never processed. You dang have to answer, but I’m curious about the volume in this pile. 10 yards, 50, 100?
This is a series of prospects some waste piles are small wheelbarrow sized. Some dump truck loads unknown amounts covered by brush and pine needles. I was out working on fences and taking a break looking around there's prospect holes everywhere.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playing with the gold concentrates that I washed and dried. Today I reground the concentrates in the mortar then back into the test pan. I covered the ground gold and ore with household hydrogen peroxide stabilized 3 percent. Definite slow reaction bubbly red muddy solution after an hour it appears half the volume of solids are liquefied or off gassed? Anyone like to count the particles per square inch of the micro gold? I going to leave it awhile longer then add soap and water and pour it off.
Could it be the hydrogen peroxide is oxidizing finely ground pyrite sulfides which is being accelerated by the precence of iron?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a series of prospects some waste piles are small wheelbarrow sized. Some dump truck loads unknown amounts covered by brush and pine needles. I was out working on fences and taking a break looking around there's prospect holes everywhere.
Dang nugget hunters paradise!! I think some chainsaw work is in your future. Is the ground so steep you cannot access it, or are you only hampered by heavy brush? I’d be considering selective brush removal if it was the latter.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang nugget hunters paradise!! I think some chainsaw work is in your future. Is the ground so steep you cannot access it, or are you only hampered by heavy brush? I’d be considering selective brush removal if it was the latter.
I would call it real steep fire has swept through in the past and you could see quartz everywhere . We have some nice old Indian trails that the miners used and we have worked on clearing for years.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been selective cutting for years and have cattle / goats /sheep trying to keep the grass under control never ending job.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This how it washed with clear water and dish soap. End of today's test still have to decide on smelting or trying to gather the gold and melt. Nonmagnetic black sand

Attachments

• P5020601.JPG
    P5020601.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 44

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This how it washed with clear water and dish soap. End of today's test still have to decide on smelting or trying to gather the gold and melt. Nonmagnetic black sand
I’d pan the gold out then toss the remaining material in a 55 gallon barrel for later potential processing if it was me. Nice show by the way!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have to have spark arrestor installed on any gasoline engine used on crown land.

Once they carbon up they rob power from the engine, I have no love of them but the law here requires them.
After 30-50 hours or so you can take the spark arrestor off and run a propane torch over the surface to burn off the carbon. This will bring back a lot of power.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’d pan the gold out then toss the remaining material in a 55 gallon barrel for later potential processing if it was me. Nice show by the way!
Take the 55 gallon barrel materials and run it through the crusher again should give some more values. You decide what is good enough for you.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If your going to pan all those piles of pay in a plastic gold pan you'll be still at it when your son gets his first pension check.

A centrifuge would put some fun back into the game, easy to build, below some gold in my first build.

The build process and some parts I'm using.

First build.

Gold, platinum and silver being more SG heavier were the first elements to be harvested, when the copper made its appearance I then knew the precious metals had been successfully recovered.

centrifuge 1.jpg

centrifuge 2.jpg

centrifuge 3.jpg

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to pan all those piles of pay in a plastic gold pan you'll be still at it when your son gets his first pension check.

A centrifuge would put some fun back into the game, easy to build, below some gold in my first build.

First build.

Gold, platinum and silver being more SG heavier were the first elements to be harvested, when the copper made its appearance I then knew the precious metals had been successfully recovered.

View attachment 2024601

View attachment 2024592

View attachment 2024602
“If your going to pan all those piles of pay in a plastic gold pan you'll be still at it when your son gets his first pension check.”

DUDE have you not been paying attention to what they are finding? I realize it’s nowhere the scale of what you are retrieving from the invisible gold spectrum. The goal certainly should be to still be recovering gold like they have been for long periods of time. The goal should be to establish a rewarding mine that the grandchildren can enjoy. That’s just me.

Where is the gold in the last pictures you posted of your centrifuge?

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
“If your going to pan all those piles of pay in a plastic gold pan you'll be still at it when your son gets his first pension check.”

DUDE have you not been paying attention to what they are finding? I realize it’s nowhere the scale of what you are retrieving from the invisible gold spectrum. The goal certainly should be to still be recovering gold like they have been for long periods of time. The goal should be to establish a rewarding mine that the grandchildren can enjoy. That’s just me.

Where is the gold in the last pictures you posted of your centrifuge?
I need to find a new hobby.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to find a new hobby.
I apologize if I was rude. It’s just that South Fork and his son are absolutely killing it right now recovering gold. They don’t need assays or XRF analysis. They have pans full of gold and chunks of rich specimen ore. I’m pretty sure they are having lots of fun with their success.

I’m wondering in your picture where the gold is..it’s a blurry photo. Is all that yellow colored material gold or is it the larger specks?

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
I’m wondering in your picture where the gold is..it’s a blurry photo. Is all that yellow colored material gold or is it the larger specks?
If my images appear blurry I suggest you clean the fingerprints off of your screen.???

When the gold particles are very small they absorb different waves from the light spectrum resulting in various colors to the human eye.

As a example very fine gold of the ionic size, the glass blower will add a minute trace of gold too the hot glass he/she is working to make Cranberry glass.

With an addition of a gold chloride solution heavier saturated with gold ions the end result would be Ruby Red glass.

The yellow material in the centrifuge bowel is gold larger than ionic gold thus the yellow color.

Once the yellow gold is melted to combine all of the smaller particles then you'll see gold as you know it by beautiful luster.

Gold leaf depending on the gold content will absorb light from the spectrum giving off color variations.

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 08-55-11.png

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 08-40-55.png

The specific gravity of gold is 19.32, the centrifuge increases the specific gravity by artificial means, increasing the amount of gold recovered thus increasing profit.

The slurry being fed into the centrifuge contains a host of elements the heavier elements slam against the wall of the spinning bowel forcing the lighter elements out, with an excess of water these are carried out and over the top of the bowel to be discarded.

Once the heavy elements gold, platinum and silver had been removed from the slurry, I fed the waste through the centrifuge once more to recovere the next heavy element which happened to be the copper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish we had a 55 gal drum full concentrates. Just filling this peanut butter jar will make me happy. While out deer hunting a long time ago I found an old mine with barrels full of crushed material. Still had brass miners tags hanging on a board with in and out.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First build.

View attachment 2024601

View attachment 2024592

View attachment 2024602
Where do you hang the toilet paper?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread