Gold Pan Modefications

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got the (crazy) idear to modify my gold pan..Has anyone else
done this? if so in what way? (tools you used, how you did it etc.)

Well heres my story:
I was sleepless one night....bla bla bla....
Well in the morning I got my Dremel and some stuff to 'engrave' some riffels.
some rough sand paper to have some rougher surface...and a knife to make fine riffels.
I run some tests this week on how it catches lead
(did not want to risk my gold)
It worked better then I thought it cought 4/4 pieces (big lead, aobut 8-10 mm)
Made another test today, with 'medium' sized lead (5-7 mm) and some small hematite (under 4 mm) I got all the lead..
Now please note that I did not do 'normal' slow washing, but 'extremely fast'.

Here are some pics nr 1 is the whole pan
Gold_pan_1.JPG

nr 2 & 3 are new riffells
Mini_trap+Big_trap.JPG
Small_riffell_Closeup.JPG

Nr 4 is when I tested it with large lead
See test lead_big.JPG

Enjoy! ;D

Upvote 0

whitevette

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
slowreaper said:
One last thing, if you do pan in a tub of water, put a drop or two of dish soap in the water. Small gold will float, the dish soap helps prevent that from happening.

Brad

Hi, Brad!
Gold , small or large, has a specific gravity of 19.3ish , depending upon purity. Water has a specific gravity of 1 . Does something which weighs over 19 times more than water float?
-whitevette

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
quote:Hi, Brad!
Gold , small or large, has a specific gravity of 19.3ish , depending upon purity. Water has a specific gravity of 1 . Does something which weighs over 19 times more than water float?
-whitevette

So you are new to prospecting? Yes,flour gold can float and a drop or two of liquid soap in the tub prevents it.(breaks the surface tension of the water)

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
slowreaper said:
I totally agree with the scuffing up of a pan before using it.
Also as a personal preference, I like a big bottomed pan with out any ridges, traps or riffles in it. The reasons being, it allows more control over using the pan and moving both the sands and metal in it. Another reason being that I feel these gadgets in the pan makes a person think the pan will do the work for them, so they get careless.
I don't really care what kind of pan it is as long as I can pan out the gold.

liquid soap can do wonders on your fine gold recovery indeed I always use it when possible.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
reguarding squating whilst panning, It is my understanding that gold is just as easy to see in dirty water as it is in clean. why not take a large bowl and set it on a collapsible lightweight picnic table and fill it with water by bucket. you can then pan in it standing, when your finsished rinse your bowl, fold the table and off you go.
with a non hurting back.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what I can add that hasnt been stated already,but YOU BETTER BELEIVE FLOUR GOLD WILL FLOAT AWAY,that is why it is important o keep oil of any kind away gas,and even the oils from your hands,I personally dont like using soap(although it works)because I dont like the suds,it obscures my veiw.I usually use a metal pan(always hardrock mining because of the process of rubbing the rock peices as you must do to release the clay and gold from the exterior of the rock will wear a plastic pan out in no time)I use a plastic pan to work my concentrates and always rub some gravel with the palm of my hand on the bottom of a new pan,to rough it up similar to what you have done.I am young and a couple hours of squatting panning kills me(I have abused my body)The only really long term panning I do is sitting or standing over a fifty five gallon(plastic)barrel cut in half.I pan on average 1 hour a day year round.

OP
OP
Eu_citzen

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grubby any updates?? ???

Peerless67: It depends on the size of the gold, the fine gold I have on the pic can't be seen in muddy water.
Not that I know what it does have to do with gold pan mods... ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread