Gold prospector, new to metal detecting.

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi friends. I am a semi experienced gold prospector here in maine and would like to get into metal detecting as a sub hobby. My 6 year old daughter is also interested in metal detecting. Any suggestions on a decent starter model? Ideally one that could pick up ssmall pieces of gold as well so I could use it at the river as well. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about gold in Maine but I do know you should be able to find some nice old coins and relics there. I'd say Garrett Ace 400 or AT Pro would be a good one for you and your daughter to start out with.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry if you're going to be around or in water. I also like the Gold Bug 2 for tiny nuggets in dry hunting areas.

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks fellas. Def not always going to be dry environment.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold and it's water proof - does have a learning curve.

Texas ED

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, this is goldpaninut from Alaska. The whites GMT goldmaster is the machine I would get. Its rugged, light weight, and will find gold so small you have to use tweezers to pick it up. I've found pieces weighing less than 1 grain to 5 oz nuggets with this machine. They're a little spendy but you can't go wrong with it. Easy to use, dependable, and kids love them because they find gold and it light weight. Hope this helps!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a few detectors that can perform well for nugget shooting and also coins and jewelry. The Garrett AT Gold as mentioned above but also the White's MXT or MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and F19, Teknetics G2, and G2+. The AT Gold is the Only one of the list that is water proof to 10' but it's also my least favorite of the bunch. JMHO

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, this is goldpaninut from Alaska. The whites GMT goldmaster is the machine I would get. Its rugged, light weight, and will find gold so small you have to use tweezers to pick it up. I've found pieces weighing less than 1 grain to 5 oz nuggets with this machine. They're a little spendy but you can't go wrong with it. Easy to use, dependable, and kids love them because they find gold and it light weight. Hope this helps!

I like the sound of that! Minus the pricey part....

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are a few detectors that can perform well for nugget shooting and also coins and jewelry. The Garrett AT Gold as mentioned above but also the White's MXT or MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and F19, Teknetics G2, and G2+. The AT Gold is the Only one of the list that is water proof to 10' but it's also my least favorite of the bunch. JMHO

Why might I ask is the AT Good your least favorite of thr group?

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The E-series?

OregonGold76

Oct 9, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my AT Gold , it works well everywhere I've used it.

Miser67

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to look at the Fisher Gold Bug, their basic model (not the "Gold Bug Pro" or DP). They can be had for less than $500 new and would be a great way to get you started.

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You might want to look at the Fisher Gold Bug, their basic model (not the "Gold Bug Pro" or DP). They can be had for less than $500 new and would be a great way to get you started.

I've heard they're not good for wet conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread