Gold Ring - Thrift Store

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I purchased a ring on chance it may be gold. It is stamped 14KE inside. I know it usually means electroplate, at least that is what I find online. I tested it using acids and I keep getting that it is 14K gold. anybody ever see this, and/or any recommendations? I scraped it pretty good, and it does come up as 14K. The stone on it is also cracked.

Here are a few pics:

DSC_0821.JPGDSC_0825.JPG

Hope these are good enough to see, not that easy to photograph.

Luis S.

Attachments

• DSC_0821.JPG
    DSC_0821.JPG
    994.1 KB · Views: 100
I see 14K GE a lot, but can't recall seeing 14KE. Right now I have an old pair of rimless glasses up and they are 14k BR, never seen that before and don't know what it means.

Okay, on item in question...are you using an acid test stone with acid? If yes, then proceed. How well is the line on the slate holding? Perfectly as it was scraped or is the line disappearing over a period of 30 seconds? If gold filled or electroplated the line may hold somewhat but there will be a lot of miniscule gold flakes that float in suspension of the acid. If there is little or no floating flakes and the line holds under acid the same as it was scratched it is likely 14k gold. Hope this helps. Pictures of your testing will help if you like.

the stone appears to be tigers eye and the ring looks to be electroplate, also that stone is usually put in cheap jewelry

agreed... the close up looks like KP, which is plumb (normal gold can be +/- .5k or something like that, but plumb means at least or maybe greater than the karat mark.

Thank you all for the responses. The line holds, no flaking, I have seen that in the past on other items I have tested.
I will need to check the mark again, it does look like "KP" now that you mention it.
I may end up taking it to a jewelry store to get tested there to be sure. Thanks again for the replies.

Luis S

Fwiw I have a really nice art deco 10k ring with a large tiger's eye cab + tiny diamonds in it, maybe tiger's eye used to be more commonly used in fine jewelry?

Thank you all for the responses. The line holds, no flaking, I have seen that in the past on other items I have tested. I will need to check the mark again, it does look like "KP" now that you mention it. I may end up taking it to a jewelry store to get tested there to be sure. Thanks again for the replies. Luis S
I posted a separate thread about a ring I found today. Thank you for posting this thread. It was while I was waiting for my flight out of San Francisco that I came across ur post. Little did I know, less than 6 hours later that I'd be putting your information to good use.

I posted a separate thread about a ring I found today. Thank you for posting this thread. It was while I was waiting for my flight out of San Francisco that I came across ur post. Little did I know, less than 6 hours later that I'd be putting your information to good use.

Forgot to add the pics.

Attachments

• image-3852480692.jpg
    image-3852480692.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3911835430.jpg
    image-3911835430.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 77

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back