Devarious

Greenie
Sep 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of all jewelers are crooks. heh

I cannot begin with "jewelers stories".
Biggest game going IMO.

Wow, it feels so stupid how they can act like that, i mean if it actually would be a real Diamond how could you even feel safe with jewelers looking into it. I dont even know where i can go to have it checked. The first jeweler just looked at it and just said that it was a synthetic

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When i gave it to him i could see the ring the whole time he just took a look at it, no special tool were used. When i first got the ring home i actually blew air at it, the fog did disappear instantly, the stone cant be scratched either, not sure what Else i can look for.

"just took a look at it" and said no? Did he magnify it? Did you take it to a reputable jeweler? Maybe a new guy looked at it and instantly dismissed it due to the size thinking: "No one walks in here off the street with a $50,000 diamond..." Or it was obviously real to him and he didn't want anything to do with it because he was concerned about its origins. (Not trying to jab at you..)

I'm not trying to convince you that the rock is paydirt, I'm just still curious. Do you have any better pics? How about the hallmarks? Who made it?

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to have a lot of hallmarks. I think I see at least 5 independent marks?! The setting is also odd. It seems to be holding on to that 'diamond' tight as if to say, "you will never fall off, you are far too valuable to be lost"...

Oh, don't try to scratch it with anything anymore!! Hahah

Keep us posted. It's the rock of the year if it's real. One that could probably be tracked to whoever lost it--unfortunately and fortunately. Hahah

OP
OP
D

Devarious

Greenie
Sep 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hoping to find the real owner to it, but firstly im going to have the rock identified. The bad news is that it'll probably not find back to it's owner since i dug it up from 0.5 meters under ground, my personal guess would be... ~1950(?). Thought it was just a pull tab at first and almost gave up, u know the struggle ��

I'll post some more pictures of it after it is identified.

I'dd love to know the history of it as well, hopefully we will eventually (in a good way ��) but i guess it's safe to say it's been worn by a woman?

6 symbols inside of it, can only see gd&c, 3 crowns and 18k clearly, gd&c is a bit blurry, but i'm 99% sure there is something Else with the gd&c, most likely GD&Co? If i'm not mistaken

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Devarious,

Here's a plan B that might work out.....find out if there's a gem club in your area.

A gemologist could definitely id it as real or fake and most of the clubs tend to be amateur collectors and not in it for the almighty buck so you'd have
a better chance of getting a fair opinion as to it being the real deal or not.

Regards + HH

Bill

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The mount for that diamond seems very strange and one like I have never seen before...my guess is that a real diamond would never be mounted with those huge tabs like that as it obscures so much of the stone. I bought my wife a bigger emerald cut stone than that as an engagement ring and it's not mounted with huge flat tabs. Additionally the ring itself seems off--very wide and flat. I hope it is real, but it looks like a cheap ring to me. Please prove me wrong on this one. :thumbsup:

BTW, can you post a close-up of the hallmarks?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mount for that diamond seems very strange and one like I have never seen before...my guess is that a real diamond would never be mounted with those huge tabs like that as it obscures so much of the stone. I bought my wife a bigger emerald cut stone than that as an engagement ring and it's not mounted with huge flat tabs. Additionally the ring itself seems off--very wide and flat. I hope it is real, but it looks like a cheap ring to me. Please prove me wrong on this one. :thumbsup:

BTW, can you post a close-up of the hallmarks?

I have attended many gem and mineral shows over the years...
Beings jewelry is a forte of mine...
I have also attended jewelry shows... silver and gold shows... on and on...
Anyway...
The reason I am telling you this is because many of those shows had jewelers as venders... Some run of the mill... and some... were true artists...
I mean these guys came up with and pulled off some of the trickest crap man...
Many tried to always "out do" each other in ways...

One thing about large stones...
They are expensive... And a good clear one... VERY expensive...
So...
Settings had to be "functional" as "durable" YET they had to be "different" to sell...
Gobs of money can be spent on these pieces so "individuality" plays in this...
Anyway again...

Those marks... Scream "custom".
That look... screams custom.
IF
I repeat IF it were set in GP then I would say yeah stone is bunk... but further checking should take place.
So easy for a jeweler to switch stone out for a fake.

PS> A stone like that... IF (not if but IF= Internally flawless)... would be worth... OMG

Even a VVS etc ... sheeeshus man ... you found some DOUGH.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

I tend to agree and that chunky mount/clasp in there for a reason....with a rock of that size the jeweler/owner doesn't want it to come loose.

Regards + HH

Bill

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC,

I tend to agree and that chunky mount/clasp in there for a reason....with a rock of that size the jeweler/owner doesn't want it to come loose.

Regards + HH

Bill

Abso-friggin-lutely Bill...

I mean a crappy setting could cost BOTH jeweler and customer...
Both in finance. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... I might point out this possibility...
This could have been designed to "look like" the real deal as well...
They DO do this all the time.............
People own two of the same ring... one real one good fake set in real gold just like the other...
One they wear "out"... and one they wear downtown so to speak...
OR on travel... etc

I know several owners of these sets come to think of it.

So... this is possible as well.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said I do hope it is real! It's just the setting and the wide flat gold band just struck me immediately as being extremely unusual. I supposed better pics would help and also pics of the hallmarks that we've asked the OP to post. I showed the pic to my wife and she did not think it real--but we can certainly both be wrong. Hopefully the OP can get to a second jeweler soon for verification. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Can't speak for the authenticity of the stone but I can for the hallmarks on the band.

Swedish made most likely after 1912. The "GD&C" is Gustav(Gustaf) Dahlgren & Company. Dahlgren lived from from 1815-1875 and was a skilled goldsmith and jeweler. The business he started in 1845 would one day become GD&C that had marks GD&Co starting around 1918. Starting in 1912, all Swedish hallmarks for both silver and gold would feature the triple crown in a trefoil indicating local manufacture or an oval shape indicating for imports. For gold the karat mark would be in a rectangle. Finally, there would be a date number and letter, a city mark and a maker's mark.

An example looks like this

Sweden_HRI-P7071966.jpg

If you can read off a little more of the stamping like the date letter and number and maybe the other letter (indicating the city in Sweden), we might be able to nail down the year of manufacture. From the looks of it, probably post 1950.

N.B.- The Dahlgren name apparently was resurrected in 2011ish and items bearing the Dahlgren name (and possibly the GD&Co stampings) have surfaced. Not saying this is necessarily a very recent drop but its possible.

Great find, hope the stone is real!

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't speak for the authenticity of the stone but I can for the hallmarks on the band.

Swedish made most likely after 1912. The "GD&C" is Gustav(Gustaf) Dahlgren & Company. Dahlgren lived from from 1815-1875 and was a skilled goldsmith and jeweler. The business he started in 1845 would one day become GD&C that had marks GD&Co starting around 1918. Starting in 1912, all Swedish hallmarks for both silver and gold would feature the triple crown in a trefoil indicating local manufacture or an oval shape indicating for imports. For gold the karat mark would be in a rectangle. Finally, there would be a date number and letter, a city mark and a maker's mark.

If you can read off a little more of the stamping like the date letter and number and maybe the other letter (indicating the city in Sweden), we might be able to nail down the year of manufacture. From the looks of it, probably post 1950.

N.B.- The Dahlgren name apparently was resurrected in 2011ish and items bearing the Dahlgren name (and possibly the GD&Co stampings) have surfaced. Not saying this is necessarily a very recent drop but its possible.

Great find, hope the stone is real!

Great research :thumbsup: Because of the limited information from the OP as well as no pics I didn't put 2+2 together, but yes three crowns in an inverted triangle is definitely Swedish and can be seen on their coins and stamps! Scandinavians are known for very modern designs for certain things especially the Danes so I can see those two large wings holding the stone and wide flat ring being a Scandinavian design. The attribution to Sweden bodes well for the possibility of the stone being real, but the date code would help. It should be easy enough to get the stone checked by another jeweler. If you have a jeweler's loupe look for any occlusions in the stone yourself in the mean time.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Devarious! I found my first gold this year but no stones and that is a huge rock!!!! Hope it's real!!!

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't realize I was late on this thread. Stupid iPhone didn't update. Keep up the digging there's got to be a real one out there!

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what world you people live in?
I am a retired jeweler, which spent more than thirty years at a bench working for three large jewelry stores and owned three of my own. In general jewelers are the most honest people that I have ever known and most of the people complaining are trying to beat the jeweler out of something.
I have had several instances where people had jewelry in a deposit box for years that they thought was extremely valuable and before they even handed it to me, I could see that it was not real. For this reason I would never take an item out of their sight until they understood that it was not a natural stone or was not mounted in precious metal.
Most the accusations heard about jewelers are by people that know nothing about stones or jewelry.
I've had lots of customers tell me stories of how some jeweler had switched their stones and when they would show me the ring, it would be small 1 or 2 point diamonds that the jeweler could have bought new stones for much less than he would have spent in labor switching them.
Nearly everyone on this list seem to be honest people and would do well to accept their fellow man as being the same.
Now, I'm off my soap box.
Good luck & HH

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what world you people live in?
I am a retired jeweler, which spent more than thirty years at a bench working for three large jewelry stores and owned three of my own. In general jewelers are the most honest people that I have ever known and most of the people complaining are trying to beat the jeweler out of something.
I have had several instances where people had jewelry in a deposit box for years that they thought was extremely valuable and before they even handed it to me, I could see that it was not real. For this reason I would never take an item out of their sight until they understood that it was not a natural stone or was not mounted in precious metal.
Most the accusations heard about jewelers are by people that know nothing about stones or jewelry.
I've had lots of customers tell me stories of how some jeweler had switched their stones and when they would show me the ring, it would be small 1 or 2 point diamonds that the jeweler could have bought new stones for much less than he would have spent in labor switching them.
Nearly everyone on this list seem to be honest people and would do well to accept their fellow man as being the same.
Now, I'm off my soap box.
Good luck & HH

What is your opinion on whether this could be a real stone or not? Would they mount a real diamond with those large tabs? Or is this higher end costume jewelery?

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your opinion on whether this could be a real stone or not? Would they mount a real diamond with those large tabs? Or is this higher end costume jewelery?
1. the stone is not diamond and no one would mistake it for that
2. no it is not mounted as one normally would mount a precious stone

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. the stone is not diamond and no one would mistake it for that
2. no it is not mounted as one normally would mount a precious stone

Curious what would lend you to conclusion #1? I ask, NOT as a challenge, but to learn.

Thanks,

Skippy

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting