Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will let the jewelers here chime in on that, but my uneducated guesses would be:

1. The cut of the stone has a lot of facets and may not be a cut that is used on a real diamonds.
2. The mount seems to obscure a large part of the stone. The whole purpose for the prong mounts on gem stones like that to my knowledge is to encourage more light to enter the stone, thus making it brighter.

Having said that I am far from an expert of gem stones so take my opinion for what it's worth. I do very much like to see the Swedish hallmarks and it's an unusual design--I hope the OP will post a clearer pic or provide more info on it soon.

No matter how you look at it it's a great find! Congrats again OP! :thumbsup:

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious too. How on EARTH can you look at those pictures from far away and say "that clearly isn't a diamond". Is it because of the size?..

Size has nothing to do with whether a stone is a diamond or not. Either my computer or his camera shows the stone as blue without the intensity of a colored diamond. The stone is set in a flex type head that makes it easy to set a stone that is easy to break or to set a stone quickly. The head has solid sides on it that do not let light through to the stone plus hides too much of the stone and if the mounting is bent the stone would pop right out of the ring.
And at three grams it is a very light weight ring, not one that a jeweler would put a valuable stone in.
With better photos, I could probably list several more reasons but I'm sure in visual contact with the ring, I would know from 4' or more away that the stone was not real.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be blathering pointlessly if I were to comment on the authenticity of either the metal or the stone in this case. However, this is an exciting thread! I would love the OP to post a bunch more pictures in different light.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is this, old stones have very different cuts from today. I have a certified internally flawless, colorless, stone that cost more than some peoples car. I have older stones that the cut of yesterday doesn't do the stone justice. I also know this type of mount was popular in the early 80's backed by the claim the heavy sides protected the stone from hitting things from the side. Only go to a reputable jeweler. The type of jeweler that gets excited by your find instead of one who doesn't care cause your not buying something. The one that has been downtown in the same location for 30+ years. If this ring is from another country, custom made, who knows what that stone is. Topaz? Florescent diamond? Let us know and lets all stop arguing until we find out for sure. If the age is correct, they did not have today's tech to fake a stone other than glass. If it was a newer piece of jewelry I could see the Home Shopping network using 18k for some fake stone, but not in early 1900's. I am excited to see an update. All I know is I would rather find a fake ring than nothing at all......... score.

This type of thinking is the reason people think their 40 year old piece of jewelry has to be real. King Tut's tomb had fake stones in it that were made of glass, so hard that man has been unable to duplicate today. Synthetic carborundum (rubies & sapphires) have been made since the 1800's. You will find jewelry with natural zircons used to substitute diamonds for several hundred years that are pretty hard to tell the difference in a diamond and it has reached a point that some natural zircons are rarer and more expensive than a diamond of like size. I have seen mine cut diamonds prior to 1900 that revel the brilliance and beauty of modern-cut stones.
And jewelers working by hand three hundred years ago made chain drive watches that very few watch makers or jewelers today can repair or duplicate.
Very old jewelry can be exquisite in beauty and craftsmanship. Modern man does not hold the patent on craftsmanship.
Good Luck & HH

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This type of thinking is the reason people think their 40 year old piece of jewelry has to be real. King Tut's tomb had fake stones in it that were made of glass, so hard that man has been unable to duplicate today. Synthetic carborundum (rubies & sapphires) have been made since the 1800's. You will find jewelry with natural zircons used to substitute diamonds for several hundred years that are pretty hard to tell the difference in a diamond and it has reached a point that some natural zircons are rarer and more expensive than a diamond of like size. I have seen mine cut diamonds prior to 1900 that revel the brilliance and beauty of modern-cut stones.
And jewelers working by hand three hundred years ago made chain drive watches that very few watch makers or jewelers today can repair or duplicate.
Very old jewelry can be exquisite in beauty and craftsmanship. Modern man does not hold the patent on craftsmanship.
Good Luck & HH
Yet you can tell a fake from 4' away:icon_scratch:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one mentioned the possibility of a white topaz. I bought this one at a thrift store albeit mounted in only 10kt. It was mistakenly sold as Sterling.

. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442060656.567795.jpg

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have attended many gem and mineral shows over the years...
Beings jewelry is a forte of mine...
I have also attended jewelry shows... silver and gold shows... on and on...
Anyway...
The reason I am telling you this is because many of those shows had jewelers as venders... Some run of the mill... and some... were true artists...
I mean these guys came up with and pulled off some of the trickest crap man...
Many tried to always "out do" each other in ways...

One thing about large stones...
They are expensive... And a good clear one... VERY expensive...
So...
Settings had to be "functional" as "durable" YET they had to be "different" to sell...
Gobs of money can be spent on these pieces so "individuality" plays in this...
Anyway again...

Those marks... Scream "custom".
That look... screams custom.
IF
I repeat IF it were set in GP then I would say yeah stone is bunk... but further checking should take place.
So easy for a jeweler to switch stone out for a fake.

PS> A stone like that... IF (not if but IF= Internally flawless)... would be worth... OMG

Even a VVS etc ... sheeeshus man ... you found some DOUGH.

I bought and sold Jewelry for over 20 years with my own store... IMO ... This ring was never originally made this way. It was just a Gold wedding band that someone had the prongs and stone added at a later time. And yes a pro can just look at the way a diamond is cut and tell if its real or not. Then with a 10X loop look for any internal inclusions. Where it gets tricky is when a stone is cut correctly and also is internally flawless. This separates the pro's from the rest... Great ring! Great find!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Size has nothing to do with whether a stone is a diamond or not. Either my computer or his camera shows the stone as blue without the intensity of a colored diamond. The stone is set in a flex type head that makes it easy to set a stone that is easy to break or to set a stone quickly. The head has solid sides on it that do not let light through to the stone plus hides too much of the stone and if the mounting is bent the stone would pop right out of the ring.
And at three grams it is a very light weight ring, not one that a jeweler would put a valuable stone in.
With better photos, I could probably list several more reasons but I'm sure in visual contact with the ring, I would know from 4' or more away that the stone was not real.

Isn't the blue from the blue sky?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought and sold Jewelry for over 20 years with my own store... IMO ... This ring was never originally made this way. It was just a Gold wedding band that someone had the prongs and stone added at a later time. And yes a pro can just look at the way a diamond is cut and tell if its real or not. Then with a 10X loop look for any internal inclusions. Where it gets tricky is when a stone is cut correctly and also is internally flawless. This separates the pro's from the rest... Great ring! Great find!
I was thinking the same thing, does look like it was added on afterwards.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Would this ring setting called a "Half Bezel Setting"?

I would just pay the $ and get the appraisal done on the ring, most places will tell you upfront that it's only going to be an insurance value for the gold and not the setting if the ring isn't good. Sort of a retail replacement value, and that can be a verbal or written valuation.

I was called up by a neighbour friend to see if I could locate a diamond in their Rottie's stomach, as they figured the big dog slurped up the stone. I stated unless it had a setting/claw was still around the stone the detector would be of no use, the owner thought the setting was still on the stone so I gave it a try. The inline probe detected something in the bowels of the dog & 4 days later of filtering dog crap the $5500 stone/setting appeared. The jest of this story was the stone and setting was from an earring stud, that fell out of the simple drilled gold band and soldered. I said to them the simple truth that the ring was a piece of work (not in a good way) and they returned the parts to the company/jeweller and got a full refund. Yes there is good and the bad out there, yes there is switches made in stones, it is a fact if the person owns the store they're there to provide a service and to make a profit, and honesty is the norm but also there is the shady characters out there that would steal, cheat, pry on the unknowing in a hearts beat without a thought of remorse, to think any different one would have to have their head in the sand dune.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would this ring setting called a "Half Bezel Setting"?

I would just pay the $ and get the appraisal done on the ring, most places will tell you upfront that it's only going to be an insurance value for the gold and not the setting if the ring isn't good. Sort of a retail replacement value, and that can be a verbal or written valuation.

I was called up by a neighbour friend to see if I could locate a diamond in their Rottie's stomach, as they figured the big dog slurped up the stone. I stated unless it had a setting/claw was still around the stone the detector would be of no use, the owner thought the setting was still on the stone so I gave it a try. The inline probe detected something in the bowels of the dog & 4 days later of filtering dog crap the $5500 stone/setting appeared. The jest of this story was the stone and setting was from an earring stud, that fell out of the simple drilled gold band and soldered. I said to them the simple truth that the ring was a piece of work (not in a good way) and they returned the parts to the company/jeweller and got a full refund. Yes there is good and the bad out there, yes there is switches made in stones, it is a fact if the person owns the store they're there to provide a service and to make a profit, and honesty is the norm but also there is the shady characters out there that would steal, cheat, pry on the unknowing in a hearts beat without a thought of remorse, to think any different one would have to have their head in the sand dune.

Most all people are not shady and always do the right thing... get more than 1 appraisal and you will know for sure...

arnie161

May 26, 2007
North Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE / T2 / Garrett Ace 250 / White DFX 300 / F75
X-Terra 705 / E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sooooo jealous !!! good find

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet you can tell a fake from 4' away:icon_scratch:

No where did I say that I could tell a fake from four feet away. I said that that particular ring on visual contact I would probably be able to tell from four feet away.
If you are a professional in a field, it becomes easy to recognize mistakes or flaws in craftsmanship or quality that sets off alarms and "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, most likely it is a duck."
That is true, not just in jewelry but in any field that a person is a professional in.
Good Luck & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread