What's new

Gold Ring

SilverCoinHound

Full Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
1,698
Golden Thread
0
Detected a very old farm and hit a low signal. Usually these are shotgun shells so I don’t dig them, but I hadn’t dug anything at the site so I checked. This likely Victorian-era ring popped out. Hunted for the next 4hrs with barely any signals. Happy with my first gold after 2yrs of heavy detecting.
IMG_1047.webp
IMG_1048.webp
IMG_1049.webp
IMG_1050.webp
IMG_1045.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 35
Big congrats on the gold! And what an interesting mystery it presents. The band is cut, so someone chopped it off their own finger to remove it before losing it. Maybe it was too loose after they cut it, they kept wearing it like that, and it slipped right off.
 
Big congrats on the gold! And what an interesting mystery it presents. The band is cut, so someone chopped it off their own finger to remove it before losing it. Maybe it was too loose after they cut it, they kept wearing it like that, and it slipped right off.
I think that cut costed them the ring.
 
Big congrats on the gold! And what an interesting mystery it presents. The band is cut, so someone chopped it off their own finger to remove it before losing it. Maybe it was too loose after they cut it, they kept wearing it like that, and it slipped right off.
I think that cut costed them the ring.

Looks to me like it was sized larger at one time and one of the solder joints failed
 
Nice! So what are the stones any idea?
"REGARD" was an Acronym for Ruby, Emerald, Garnet, Amethyst, Ruby, and Diamond. Since there are only 5 stones here, I’m not sure but AU Seeker’s probably right on the 2. Thanks
 
"REGARD" was an Acronym for Ruby, Emerald, Garnet, Amethyst, Ruby, and Diamond. Since there are only 5 stones here, I’m not sure but AU Seeker’s probably right on the 2. Thanks
This rings has only 2 gemstone types, so while it looks very much like "acrostic rings", i.e. the first letter of each stone spells out a word, such as "REGARD" (Ruby, Emerald, Garnet, Amethyst, Ruby, Diamond), "DEAREST" (Diamond, Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz) "ADORE" (Amethyst, Diamond, Opal, Ruby, Emerald) "LOVE" (Lapis Lazuli, Opal, Vesuvianite A.K.A. garnet, Emerald), or even someone's name.

But this is not the case with this ring, the gemstones were most likely selected for their symbolic meanings, which there are many depending on the time period, country and culture, or a person's personal meanings when the ring was made.
 
Last edited:
Detected a very old farm and hit a low signal. Usually these are shotgun shells so I don’t dig them, but I hadn’t dug anything at the site so I checked. This “Victorian Regard Ring” popped out. Hunted for the next 4hrs with barely any signals. Happy with my first gold after 2yrs of heavy detecting.View attachment 2265631View attachment 2265632View attachment 2265633View attachment 2265634View attachment 2265635
Thats way better than a shot gun shell find. Congratulations 👏 🎉
 
Last edited:
Detected a very old farm and hit a low signal. Usually these are shotgun shells so I don’t dig them, but I hadn’t dug anything at the site so I checked. This likely Victorian-era ring popped out. Hunted for the next 4hrs with barely any signals. Happy with my first gold after 2yrs of heavy detecting.View attachment 2265631View attachment 2265632View attachment 2265633View attachment 2265634View attachment 2265635
That's a very pretty ring. Congrats on finding your piece of gold. I spend most of my time detecting in wooded areas. It's a very special day when I manage a piece of gold jewelry. Well done!
 
Detected a very old farm and hit a low signal. Usually these are shotgun shells so I don’t dig them, but I hadn’t dug anything at the site so I checked. This likely Victorian-era ring popped out. Hunted for the next 4hrs with barely any signals. Happy with my first gold after 2yrs of heavy detecting.

Very nice gold ring find..👍

Curious why you dont dig low tones, low tones can be very pruductive, I have found a lot of low gold tones.

I look at it like I would rather dig a 100 pull tabs or brass junk, that sounded low, than walk away from a target that is a $5,000 ring. Depending on the base metals used to make the different levels of gold 12k, 14k,18k and so on. Gold will ring anywhere from low to high..

May just be me, I use very little discrimination, maybe a 1 or 2, and I dig ever signal that isnt iron. It is not just the tone, but you want to pay attention to the signal too, how sharp it is, do the TID numbers stay same or change when sweeping target from different directions.

Nickels will usually give same TID# from different directions, while gold can change some. Gold can be found anywhere from 1 to 20+ on my Equinox 800, depending on base metals used to make the gold jewelry.

Good luck on your next hunt!
 
Very nice gold ring find..👍

Curious why you dont dig low tones, low tones can be very pruductive, I have found a lot of low gold tones.

I look at it like I would rather dig a 100 pull tabs or brass junk, that sounded low, than walk away from a target that is a $5,000 ring.

You make a point, I have a feeling I may have passed up a gold ring before but can’t be certain. I’ve dug more low tone garbage than I can count, probably thousands of pieces and never any gold. Once a site produces a lot of the same trash I stop digging the tone. It’s a matter of preserving time and energy as I’m after old silver coins.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom